Center Riser exhaust from log style, Help...

knotperfect

Seaman
Thank you all for the 2-4 bbl recommendations. Now I have questions about the exhaust system. Now that I have a way forward for my 5.7 rebuild, I need tips about the exhaust. I plan to replace the entire cooling system since I don't have a warm fussy about the PO's maintenance program and the old manifolds, and thermo housing were beyond what I would be comfortable re-using. My end-risers look OK but I will have them tested.

The log style manifolds are expensive:eek: to replace (they all are) so do I convert to a center riser style, or simply replace the logs (and all associated hoses, fittings, etc.)? I think at the end of the day, the center style is less expensive, but what are the details to converting? Y-pipe change? Anything else to consider? What about year range if I fine good condition used for a center rise?

Currently, the stern drive and engine are out so I have room to work.

This is all going into a 1977 Wellcraft Suncruiser 2000, cuddy. Originally an 898, pre-alpha and moving to a 350.

UPDATE:
I have found a donor boat (1987 Renken, 5.7L) with a fresh top end including new exhaust manifolds and risers. Can I simply purchase all of the cooling/exhaust system and have it bolt up to my new 350 provided the Y-pipe is the same size? What would be the limiting factor to bolting up this 1987 stuff to an older system? Should I buy the Y-pipe too to ensure a good fit?

What am I missing? Thanks

Last edited:

knotperfect

Seaman
Re: Center Riser exhaust from log style, Help...

Can I get some help? Anyone....

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... I haven't tried it that way,...
Swap the manifolds, 'n you'll probably need the T-stat housing, 'n plumbing as well...

Donno about the Y-pipe...

haulnazz15

Captain

If it's any consolation, I bought a conversion kit from ebasicpower when I redid my 351 and went from log-style to center-riser. Kit came with everything needed (t-stat housing, t-stat, hoses, bolts, gaskets, etc). The only thing I had to order separate was a starter solonoid bracket, but that's a 351w thing. Y-pipe stayed the same as the exhaust tube exits at the same location as the log-risers did.