Center of balance

T_Herrod

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm wanting to build a lifting device to get my boat off of the trailer to do some repairs. How do i find the center of balance on the boat. I know it will be well to the rear of the boat due to the weight of the engine. Boat is a 2003 G3 V167C. Length is 16' 7" beam is 78". Motor is a 2002 Yamaha 50trla.
Thanks in advance
Tom

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Center of balance

Lift it and you'll find out. If you want a guess it's about the centre of the trailer wheels. Maybe slightly forward of there.

tpenfield

Staff member

I'm wanting to build a lifting device to get my boat off of the trailer to do some repairs. How do i find the center of balance on the boat. I know it will be well to the rear of the boat due to the weight of the engine. Boat is a 2003 G3 V167C. Length is 16' 7" beam is 78". Motor is a 2002 Yamaha 50trla.
Thanks in advance
Tom

Like the others have said . . . no need to know the exact point of balance. Besides it will be difficult to measure. However, with the boat on the trailer, and 'normal' tongue weight, you know that the center of balance is going to be slightly ahead of the axle (assuming single axle trailer).

So, if you are going to lift it, your lift points would be near the transom and probably about 1/3 of the way back from the bow. It all depends on how you plan to lift it. Most folks support the stern and slide the trailer out from underneath the boat as shown in the thread link that post previously posted. No real need to build anything elaborate for a small boat.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

better to lift from a couple of points than try a balancing act with one (picture 2 slings instead of one). Or lift from the bow and stern eyes; your boat is small enough.

One option if you can't just launch it is to launch it in the yard, especially if you have a roller trailer and even better a break roller trailer. We did that every year to paint the bottom of a 16' starcraft. (Hint: be sure the stern straps are untied)