Center console v dual console

Kachadurian

Seaman Apprentice
I'm buying a boat in the next few months and I'm getting closer, but before I pull the trigger I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on using a center console boat as a all all around fun sort of boat rather than a utility boat.

Around here (East Grand Traverse Bay the CCs are about 1 to 5 with the traditional sedan type boat.

Is it odd for skiing and tubing? I'm not much for posing at the beach with babes on the back of my boat, but my family and I will do some cruising and playing besides fishing.

Anyone care to give the the pros and cons of a center console?

Tom

studlymandingo

Commander
Re: Center console v dual console

I have had both kinds of boats; I am currently running a Center Console and will most likely stay in that camp.

A dual console or bowrider will likely have more seating space for the family, but you really need to decide what you will be using the boat for the most.

I pull wakeboarders and skis behind my CC and it works fine. The reason for a Center Console is to give the most room for moving around the boat with fishing lines unobstructed. I use my boat for diving quite frequently and there is more room for tanks and gear on board than a dual console.​

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you need to calculate how many on the boat at one time. the kids are going to want friends. seating can be a problem. we have a deckboat (not a pontoon boat) that works very well as a dual purpose boat.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

studlymandingo - How do you provide for the observer when skiing? Just curious.

Kelly Cook

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I have both, the CC has less usable room for people and gear. I would rather have a side console and may convert my CC to a side console this winter.

I was amazed at how much room the console takes up and how hard it is to actually walk around it. I've pulled tubers and skiers and that's not a problem, but seating for everybody can be. If you plan on fishing most of the time and casting is the your normal method, then they're good, if you like trolling, then they're not so good. I use this boat for fishing in the salt and most of it is trolling, plus we don't have endless months of good weather, so getting out of the weather and seating while trolling are it's weak points.

Now this is based on how I use the boat in the North West, not on how it may be used elsewhere.

19' CC W/200HP Evinrude.

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have also had both and I believe that it really depends on what you will be doing most. If it is fishing I like my center console since there is usually just one or two of us and I can easily get around the entire boat. If you will be Skiing and tubing most I think the dual console would win out for seating and observing. The dual console is safer with younger kids in my opinion also.

I have my center console set up for trolling with outriggers and can get to all the lines from behind the console.

Either boat is capable of pulling someone one just offers more comfort and safety. Both can be fished.

wildspeed

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm personnally a fan of the DC as like said before offer more cruising conveniance than a CC, especialy seating. But I use it mainly for fishing...

If you take a CC and a DC from the same line, the hull are usually identical ,it is only the inside layout who differed

Also I do not categorise a Dual Console as the same as a Bowrider.

Bowriders are mostly cruising/sportboat with "luxury' feature like cup holders, carpet, stereo and usually a " Freshwater Hull".......DC are like CC, made for Saltwater with deep V hull, hight beam, no carpet....

Here are a couple of recent DC

73149_102_pic.jpg

186dc_1.jpg

894112006924135839340_102_195dc-tex.jpg

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

When I went looking this time last year I was certain I wanted a CC as my next boat. Problem was I was in love with the ideal, not the reality. I don't fish, I take my family to the beach and tow my kid around on an innertube.

When I was out doing sea trials in a couple of CCs that's when the reality struck me. There's seating protected from the elements for exactly 2 people -- the rest are either sitting bolt upright in front of the console, sliding around the front deck uncomfortably, or stuck in little half-seats at the transom.

I'm not knocking the boats -- they are still my favourite and one would be just fine for me and a buddy or two fishing or diving but much as I liked the lines and the go-anywhere durability and simplicity, I reluctantly admitted to myself I was trying to make the job fit the boat, not the other way around.

Then I discovered DCs (which are very rare in my neck of the woods). In it I could get the same sea worthiness, self-draining cockpit, low maintenance interior, high quality hardware made to support avid fishermen, yet still have a more family-oriented layout.

So far I'm really loving the Scout although I am discovering it's less than a forgiving ride in a quartering chop due to the unusual hull design and relatively light weight compared to the SeaRay we moved from. Hull design below the waterline is a whole new topic tho!

Kachadurian

Seaman Apprentice

Then I discovered DCs (which are very rare in my neck of the woods). In it I could get the same sea worthiness, self-draining cockpit, low maintenance interior, high quality hardware made to support avid fishermen, yet still have a more family-oriented layout.

So far I'm really loving the Scout although I am discovering it's less than a forgiving ride in a quartering chop due to the unusual hull design and relatively light weight compared to the SeaRay we moved from. Hull design below the waterline is a whole new topic tho!

Very rare here in Michigan as well. You last comment has me concerned however. I'm on a fairly large bay of Lake Michigan and one of the thiings I'm looking for is stabilty when the water gets hairy. I was seriously thinking about one of the Scout DC 175 Dorado, but maybe it's too light.

tom

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Tom, CC are a bit better for fishing. DCs are much better for cruising with large numbers of kids, dogs and adults. Towing stuff/skiing, it makes no difference.

I like the fact that I the DC gives much more protection from wind and cold, since I use the boat in the fall and winter here in the northeast. I always freeze in the CCs in anything but hot summer conditions. They really do not protect the third person from the wind, and are not too good at protecting the driver form the wind.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The ride of a DC will never match that of a CC do to the configration. The further you can move the weight to the rear of the boat the better the ride.

If you fish, then it's CC all the way. If you're a crusier, then go with the DC

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Very rare here in Michigan as well. You last comment has me concerned however. I'm on a fairly large bay of Lake Michigan and one of the thiings I'm looking for is stabilty when the water gets hairy. I was seriously thinking about one of the Scout DC 175 Dorado, but maybe it's too light.

tom

I would recommend taking a good look at Scout -- the quality of hardware, fit and finish is considerably beyond what I've come to experience as "normal." We have the Dorado 175 but our main boating takes place in Ontario's Muskoka region which is but a puddle compared to Lake Michigan.

As for the ride, Scout has come up with an interesting hull design that combines some moderate deadrise which levels out flat at the chines for fishing/casting stability as well as introduces a very subtle, almost tri-hull like design up front. They tout the results of all this as enabling the boat to trap air at speed which provides more boyancy, less time to plane, greater fuel effiency etc. After living with our 175 for a season I would say all of those things are in some evidence with the downside being some harshness in a boat as light as the 175 under the aforementioned conditions. It seems to me the culprit is that some wave action gets amplified when it hits the cupped areas of the hull.

My hunch is that if you went up to a heavier model DC Scout (Dorado 185 or even 205) the weight of the boat would offset the slap of chop. For the kind of water you are talking it's probably a good idea anyway. At any rate, sea trials in various conditions are a must when trying to decide these things. Unfortunately with the 175 mine were on dead calm water the only day I could arrange it.

Not that I don't think our 175 isn't up to the odd bigger water experience -- ironically, I think my boat might actually be better in bigger water. My theory is that once you get beyond the annoying smaller chop and into the bigger rolling surf, the inherent boyancy and stability of the boat will shine through. I will probably try to get up to Parry Sound this weekend to test this theory.

(As an example, there's considerably more freeboard up front than some other traditional "bowriders".
I stuffed the nose of our SeaRay 170 into some big waves a few timesand it was scary to watch it dive rather than climb. Thought I'd protect myself by using the bow cover in that kind of water and the next time the nose went in, green water just rolled on up and over over the windshield into my lap. Scared the poop outta me. Although "small" at 17.5 feet, that boat was too heavy for a craft with so little freeboard.)

As a side note you won't go too far wrong with the factory choice of Yamahas that Scout specs on their boats. Our 4 stroke 90 is smooth, quiet and powerful (although with the current positive things I'm hearing about the E-tecs you might want to check them out as well).

Finally, lest you think this is nothing but a thinly disguised Scout Love-in I was also checking out a Key West 185 DC during the early stages and was quite impressed. Unfortunately it sold before I could get to it for a closer look.

I'll try to post some pics of the hull design later tonight to show you what I mean.

Offroader

Cadet

What was the length of your previous SeaRay, and what's the size of your present Scout?

Do you think Bowriders handle chop better than Dual consoles?

silveraire

Petty Officer 1st Class

you need to find a compromise for the two. A dual console will handle rough water better than a normal bowrider. Most bowriders don't have the deadrise that the dual console's have. That alone will effect your ride. The steeper the deadrise, the better it will handle the rough water.(normally) Your compromise is that when you are sitting still, the boat will be less stable than your normal bowrider. The other advantage with a dual console in most cases, is that they have more bow flair and higher freeboard. Remember that I am making a general statement, this is true in most cases.

As far as choosing between cc and dc, you need to decide how the boat will be used most. If it is even close to 50/50, go with the dual console. When you are out with the family, you won't regret it. Most dual console boats are set up fairly well for fishing, which can't be said about cc and the family.

I agree with scoutabout, check out the scouts, very nice boats.

silveraire

Petty Officer 1st Class

One other thing with the dual console boats, is that most have a self bailing deck. very nice feature to have.

180Fisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class

The center consoles tend to have bgger fuel tanks vs similar sized duel consoles.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

2 year old thread 180.....

high'n'dry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For family use I think the dual console is a better choice for water sports and general fun boating. For fishing, scuba, rough water the center console is the better choice.

The dual console generally has a SITTING pilot station and of course it is offset to the right and as well by design, further forward in the hull.

A center console, by design has a STANDING pilot station, along center line and further aft in the hull.

In rough water, at any speed, I much prefer to stand at a leaning post. This allows the legs to absorb shock and the further aft pilot station (and centerline) further reduce the shock.

The identical hull, engine and load, make one a center console and the other a dual console, the CC will have an apparent better ride.

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

According to his post history he bought a Pioneer Venture 175 Dual Console!;)

I have a Grady tournament 19 which is a dual console. If you are taking the wife out I promise you she will insist upon a dry place for kids to sit and be protected from weather. CC's just don't offer that option.

As for fuel, my grady has 40 gallons and I have yet to come close to running it empty in a day of skiing or on a round trip 20 miles out.

Dual consoles afford maximum fishabilty with enough creature comforts to sell it as a "family" boat to the wife, there by allowing you to own it in the first place.