Center Console help ???

bymorris

Recruit
Looking to get a NEW Center Console in the next month or two.

I have around $23,000 to $30,000 to spend.

I will use this boat for both Lake and Ocean 50/50. I will be doing some fishing, nothing big and crazy though.

I just started and I've looked a little bit, but right now the leader boat is a PIONEER 197 Sport Fish. Also I like the SEA HUNT Ultra 210.

Just wanted to get every bodies opinion on what to buy and what NOT to buy.

Thanks guys, hook me up. :cool:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Center Console help ???

if going ocean, go bigger. twin engine. where are you boating?

Bamboo

Seaman

The pioneer 197 SF is well worth a hard look. There are several in my area of Fl and people seem to really like them. The other one I would look at is the Key West 211. If you haven't, check out the pioneer owner's forum.

haskindm

Petty Officer 1st Class

The fact is that EVERY boat is a compromise! The trick is finding the manufacturer that makes the same compromises that you would if you were building the boat. Do you want a sharp V for a smooth ride in rough seas or a flatter bottom for stability and higher speeds in smooth water? How much seating capacity? Live wells or coolers? Some things you need to look for like all stainless steel fittings THROUGH BOLTED with backing plates, not simply screwed into the fiber glass. Look at the workmanship in areas that you normally can't see. like inside storage compartments. Are the edges finished and smooth or was the attitude that "if it don't show, it don't matter". Look at the wiring, is it neat and well supported or does it look like the wiring was run by a drunken mouse? The fact is that there are really no "bad boats". Most of the shoddy builders have been eliminated by hard economic times and strong competition. There are however many "bad dealers" and bad owners, and bad mechanics. Also remember that the dealer that you choose may be very important to your satisfaction with your boat and the "best" dealer may NOT be the one with the lowest prices! The fun is in finding the boat that is right for you from a dealer in whom you have confidence. That will probably be a different boat than one that is right for me, even though we both like center consoles. Don't buy a boat based on someone else's opinion, do your homework and find the one that is right for you. I spent a good deal of time and chose the 18' Grady White Center Console. It was the right boat for me based on many factors. It may not be right for you and is probably a little over your budget figure (and keeping within your budget is important). I kept my first boat for 22 years so I was willing to spend a little more in order to get what I really wanted - as I will probably have it for many years. You will need to decide what is important to you and buy accordingly.

bymorris

Recruit

if going ocean, go bigger. twin engine. where are you boating?

Mostly with the Lake, but I will take it down to the Ocean and hit the Inter Coastal Waterway up and the Sound and do some fishing. I will prob never go way out in the ocean though.

bymorris

Recruit

The fact is that EVERY boat is a compromise! The trick is finding the manufacturer that makes the same compromises that you would if you were building the boat. Do you want a sharp V for a smooth ride in rough seas or a flatter bottom for stability and higher speeds in smooth water? How much seating capacity? Live wells or coolers? Some things you need to look for like all stainless steel fittings THROUGH BOLTED with backing plates, not simply screwed into the fiber glass. Look at the workmanship in areas that you normally can't see. like inside storage compartments. Are the edges finished and smooth or was the attitude that "if it don't show, it don't matter". Look at the wiring, is it neat and well supported or does it look like the wiring was run by a drunken mouse? The fact is that there are really no "bad boats". Most of the shoddy builders have been eliminated by hard economic times and strong competition. There are however many "bad dealers" and bad owners, and bad mechanics. Also remember that the dealer that you choose may be very important to your satisfaction with your boat and the "best" dealer may NOT be the one with the lowest prices! The fun is in finding the boat that is right for you from a dealer in whom you have confidence. That will probably be a different boat than one that is right for me, even though we both like center consoles. Don't buy a boat based on someone else's opinion, do your homework and find the one that is right for you. I spent a good deal of time and chose the 18' Grady White Center Console. It was the right boat for me based on many factors. It may not be right for you and is probably a little over your budget figure (and keeping within your budget is important). I kept my first boat for 22 years so I was willing to spend a little more in order to get what I really wanted - as I will probably have it for many years. You will need to decide what is important to you and buy accordingly.

Thanks a lot

I will definitely keep that in mind.

I'm going to a boat show in Raleigh NC on the weekend of January 10th.

I think the best move is to find the boat that I want for sure and then looking for the best dealer with the best price and the best service.

But I just love the way this 197 Pioneer Sportfish looks !!!!!!

sportfish203.jpg

haskindm

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, but keep in mind that the models are optional and cost extra. Allot extra!

bymorris

Recruit

This is also a Bigger Boat and a couple of thousand dollars cheaper.

"Sea Hunt Ultra 210"

But I've just heard some good and bad things about "Sea Hunt"

Ultra210_04-Sea-Hunt.jpg