Center Console for Pontoon -- Controls -- what is a binnacle?

Baitcooler

Cadet
Hi guys.

My dad was joking around about rebuilding his pontoon as a center console. I found a blank console for cheap locally and would like to prepare the console over the winter to install in the spring. Game on!

I've always used side controls with integrated key switch. I'd like to use a binnacle type control for this which means breaking out some of the key switch functions to individual switches on the console front panel. I want to make sure I don't forget anything.

I'm thinking:

Key Switch in series with Run/Stop Switch and Kill Switch for operation.
Momentary Switch for Choke Solenoid.
Momentary Switch for engine crank relay in series with neutral safety switch from binnacle controls.

Are there off the shelf solutions for this? Is there a industry standard way of doing this? What are some boats I can reference?

The cost on binnacle type controls comes way down if I'm not trying to match up manufacturer. I'm not opposed to used. There are some sweet looking old morse ones on ebay. Is the throttle throw and shifting throw all adjusted on the motor side? What's the standard for dual controls? Throttle on the left? Shift on the Right? Red balls mark throttle?

Thanks!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the binnacle is a top mounted throttle control, normally for I/O or inboards, especially if you want the push to choke feature.

not sure what you are looking for is going to be "off the shelf"

best bet, buy the binnacle controls you want, use your existing key switch with push to choke and re-locate it to your new console

Baitcooler

Cadet
Don’t have the motor locked down. It has a merc classic 50 on it now which seems underpowered. His neighbor has a similar boat in similar condition he might buy with a 90hp outboard. I don’t know the make on it. I think either merc or Yamaha.... not new. 80s or 90s. Both boats need new furniture. That’s some of my motivation for making sure the controls are as universal as possible.