Cell phones - how farfrom shore?

Kymasabe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Cell phones - how farfrom shore?

Cell phone distance is largely dependant on the type of signal and the underlying technology amd limited by the transmitters size and power.
Cell towers in popluated suburban areas are often positioned only a few miles from each other. The max range of a tall cell tower is aprox. 40km or 25 miles. A powerful cell phone transmitting to a tall tower with flat terrain and no interference should be able to reach a tower 20-25 miles away. Add hilly terrain and interference and that range can quickly drop to 3-5 miles.

My suggestion is don't rely on a cell phone and buy the best marine VHF radio and antenna you can afford, even if it's a handheld. Cell phones aren't waterproof and will sink if dropped. One good soaking and your cell phone is useless while marine VHF's are usually waterproof, some are submersible and Icom makes a handheld that floats. Also, when you call with your cell phone, you reach out to one person. When you call for help with a VHF, you're boadcasting to every boat monitoring channel 16, plus (in my area) TowBoat US, SeaTow, the local marine police and in some cases, the Coast Guard. Some of the new radios can be linked to on an-board GPS so in Mayday situations, you just flip the little red door open and hit the panic button, sends your distress signal and broadcasts your GPS coordinates. The signal assigned to your boat will give the rescuers your names, boat name, make, type, size, etc...

Cell makes a decent in-shore/near-shore back-up but don't rely on it.

Need a cheap handheld VHF? Go to eBay and buy a Humminbird VHF-55S. I paid less than $50 for mine, brand-new, and it works great.

PS ~~~> Most of this info was found online. I'm in no way a cell-phone expert so don't rely on this information for life-saving circumstances.

mpdelnorte

Recruit

Thank you Kymasabe -- I am not thinking of replacing the radio with a cell phone. My radio is working (well, at least it makes all the proper noises, and once I was able to speak with the gas station guys over channel 11). It's just that (thanks Heavens) I have never had to call a "mayday", so I have no idea how it would work out. On the other hand, I know cell phones work when they work :) It's nice to have some redundance. I know cell cervice works fine over the entire Buzzards Bay, but I am going to venture outside the bay in Spring (around Martha's, Cape Cod bay, etc). It would be nice to be prepared. Especially considering kids in the boat.

pduquette

Ensign

Welcome Mpdelnorte!
Happy NewYear too! Nice too see iboat members growing in our area. I hope to get out in Buzzards Bay this summer, mainly plan to fish Bird Island /Cleavland ledge . I too am in the market for a good radio and have been looking at both hand held and underconsole untis by uniden/cobra. let me know if you find a radio you like .

m&m252

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sat-phone only way to stay connected . this one i can state for a fact have worked in telcom for 30years ,forget landlines,no cell sites on open water if you have no "bars" on land what makes you think you will inn open water...sat-phones good rates for weekenders taking a long run...