Cazy and tragic

Jacques Nel

Cadet
Some five years ago a lady who worked for me lost a grandson of approx 8 years. The family went rowing in small open boat and the kid would not sit still so to make sure he did not fall overboard his dad tied him to the boat. A wake flipped them over and he sank with the boat and drowned.<br /><br />Last Christmas I had some hassles with a cable tie on my outboard and needed a third hand to get it right. A youngster offered to help and we sorted it out. While launching he asked if I could take him for a ski - he said he could ski. So I reluctantly agreed and off we go and he's up on two ski's and a bit wobbly. At the end of the lagoon its time to turn (not too sharp) and he takes it too wide and ends up on the rocky bank. When I realised he was not gonna make the turn it was too late. I was sure he had broken some bones and both my ski's but apart from bruises on the shins he was OK. He had been drinking. Lesson learnt by me. Do not ski strangers behind your boat

Re: Cazy and tragic

well on my first water skiing i got up ok it was when i fell that i was in trouble they didnt tell me to let go!! i figured it out when it got dark real quick

Knightgang

Lieutenant

I boat with small children in the boat, and in Georgia, it is law that they have to wear a life jacket under 12 years old. I would make them wear it anyway. But, I know the feeling of little ones that wil not be still in a boat. When it comes to the point that they need to be tied to something, I get htem close to me and tie them to ME!!! That way if something happens, I know that I will not lose them. Tieing to the boat is not a good idea.

sloopy

Commander

who ties their children to the boat??

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

Speaking of tieing kids to the boat. I had to get after my boys about the way they just threw the rope in the boat a couple of weeks ago. I made them stop and put it away correctly. Then I explained what would happen if for some reason the boat sank and, they got tangled up in the rope.

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

My 6 y/o puts her jacket on before entering the boat. You just can't take chances with a kid.. they're too precious.

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

samagee,<br />Good point about the rope. I'll begin stowing my bow-line rope better.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

ditto, good point samagee.<br />in the local news recently, a man and his wife<br />had their pontoon on Lk. Ontario when the engine<br />died. he decided to jump in the 45' water and<br />tow the boat to shore himself. he quickly drowned<br />due to frigid water...<br />be safe is #1 priority on the water as u never<br />get a second chance.