Cavitation Plate

stauter99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 14' wooden skiff(Bosarge) and I am trying to get the best performance out of it with a 1997 9.9 Yamaha 2 stroke. I have some pictures of cavitation plate height and I want yalls opinion. I think the keel is messing it up and with it shaved down I could raise the motor up even more. The motor sitis on a trimmed 1x6 now and when I cut a 2x4 to fit it wanted to cavitate too much on turns. This setup planes and runs fine(kinda slow) I am gonna be moving up to a 25 in the future but for now I want the best performance I can get. Thank yall so much!<br /><br />
P0003417.jpg

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Cavitation Plate

9.9 isnt going to net you much speed with that hull. try dropping it into the water another inch at a time and check.<br />when you fit the 25 try cutting away the keel towards the bow a foot or 2, that will help. with the hull shape and the hard chines i think unless your motor sits "low" you are going to have some issues.

stauter99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its on a 1x6 block are you saying take the block out? Will I gain speed? I put it there b/c it was roostertailing badly up on the transom. Thanks!!

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

yes take out the block. gain speed, no. if you want to prevent the ventilation you are getting from your keel drop the engine. try different trim positions also. the height in that picture looks ok to me however, could be you need to cutout the keel forward.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> having delt with those type skiffs when I grew up in the grand bay and mobile areas I can tell you the front 3 ft of the keel has to go. the transom angle is also to steep. with the flat bottom and hard chines anything more than about 7* is to much. the reason the water ran up the transom and fell in the boat was due to the gearcase was to low in the water.<br /> its a common problem on skiffs and jon boats.<br /> once you get the keel and transom issues striaght us an inductive tach to insure correct RPM at WOT.

stauter99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BenC-<br />This setup is currently not cavitating, it is sitting in a 1x6. It cavitatied on a 2x4. Thanks<br /><br />Rodbolt-<br />How do you suggest shaving the keel? What tools technique etc. Thanks

stauter99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Rodbolt,<br />How do you suggest shaving the keel? What tools technique?