Cavitation Plate- What's The Ideal Location?

stang82

Cadet
When mounting an engine, regardless of whether it is a 20" or 25" shaft, is the ideal location for the cavitation plate to be equal with the bottom of the hull?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Cavitation Plate- What's The Ideal Location?

Hi, Stang.<br /><br />That's an ideal starting point for the anti-ventilation plate (usually called the cavitation plate).<br /><br />The final ideal location is usually an inch or more above, depending on your boat, balance, rigging, etc. and is found by experimentation, just as the ideal prop is found.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

KCLOST

Commander

I'm kind of interested in the question, as I'm getting ready to move my motor up some...<br /><br />Is the "bottom of the hull" in reference to the very bottom of the v-hull forward of the transom, or the bottom of the transom itself which is usually 3-4 inches up due to the step design in the hull of many bass boats?

walleyehed

Admiral

KCLOST, you have somewhat of a "built-in" set back, and yes, your referance is that fwd portion.<br />I think you will find in that application, 1" above will be the "Lowest" position for your engine.

KCLOST

Commander

Cool, That's about where it's at right now... I new it was too low (you probably remember my previous post about this). Thanks...<br /><br />Are you ready to go Walleye fishing (or are you already)?