Cave Crickets - Yech!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Had to go to basement in the middle of the night and right smack in the middle of the room was a huge Cave Cricket. <br /><br />I hate Cave Crickets. Their big, yellow and brown, 4 - 6 inch long feelers, can jump up to 6 feet, are blind, make no chirping sounds, and have a defense strategy of jumping wildly around so you can't catch them. They usually end up on you.<br /><br />I get a can of household bug spray and give this guy TWO solid doses and he crawls off under the edge of a trash bag. I assume to die.<br /><br />Next night I go to basement to pick up his dead body but he ain't there! Darn! So I look around and find him across the room on his side under a chair. Reach under with my foot to kick him out and he is NOT DEAD! He's not feeling too well, but he is not dead! Starts walking in circles. Darn these things are hard to kill. So I step on him.<br /><br />Now I have to find out how he got in. Darn things are so big must be a hole the size of a quarter somewhere. <br /><br />I have seen them so big that they will cover the palm of your hand. <br /><br />I hate Cave Crickets.

Cranky18

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Cave Crickets - Yech!

Can you post a picture of this "Cave Cricket"? Sound huge! I thought things were supposed to be bigger in Texas but I guess not. :eek:

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Here is a good photo. The website said that they rarely reach an inch in lenght. I am assuming they mean the body. I typically see them with one inch plus long body, with legs that makes them about 3 inches long, and 6 or more with feelers.<br /><br />They like to hang from the ceiling. So when you open your Bilco basement doors, they are covered with them and they jump all over because of the sunlight.<br /><br />Yech.<br /><br />
slide20a.jpg

monoshock

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have those in my basement.<br />I've always wondered if they would be good for fish bait.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I'm with SBN. Bait.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Mark,<br /><br />I'm with you - YECH!<br /><br />We get them in our sheds and sometimes in the basement. They are fast and unpredictable little guys.<br /><br />I don't think they would make good bait though.. Too hard to catch 'em and their "shell" is so thin, I don't think they would hold a hook very well.<br /><br />Also, I think they eat fabrics, so get em' out of your house!

Ron G

Commander

they grow anywere its dark and cool in some of our rentals basements there be 100's of them they are some wild jumpers use a bottom and kill them before they reproduce and take over.

rwise

Captain

Looks like bait to me, and free is the best kind!

Frankhanhart

Petty Officer 1st Class

Those are not crickets....you got aliens there Mark. Check them for a very small educational book before you squash them!<br />Frank

Grant S

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We have them in NZ,they are called Weta, the bodies grow to about 3" in length.