causes of alarms

jesse_h97

Cadet
I Have a 95 merc 90 oi elpto, After a while of running at wot it will only do 3000rpm, and the alarm is consistent whether the engine is on or not. The oil level is topped off and so is the lower unit. Any suggestions?

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: causes of alarms

Is it a constant alarm or a beep beep beep type alarm?
Not sure on that particular engine but here some issues that have been known to set off the alarm
Bad float in oil tank. The metal has fallen off the float and is laying in the bottom of the tank instead of moving away from the senor.
Bad alarm module.

jesse_h97

Cadet

I edited my thread, it beeps constantly. How smart are these engines? Will it allow only low rpm's if there is a prob?

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Constant beep is genreally a heat issue. Oil is the beep beep beep.

jesse_h97

Cadet
heat issue

heat issue

Where do I start with a consistent beep alarm? no flaming please, im trying to find a manual.

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I can only tell what I found in my engine (1995 60hp). I hope it is similar to yours.
Find the module. Module will look like a lump of plastic about 2 inch square and 3/4 inch thick with wires coming out.
Blue wires go to oil tank. Disconnect one of them. If oil tank is issue then beep beep beep will stop. Probably not your issue since continuous beep is present.
Tan wire goes to heat sensor and back to beeper in control handle assy using a Y connection. disconnect wire to sensor. If beep stops, sensor bad.
If beep continues disconnect tan back to control assy. If beep stops probably module is bad.
I bypassed mine by connecting the tan sensor wire direct to the tan wire back to module. That way heat sensor will still trigger horn but oil must be monitored visually.

The simple explanation is that if the tan wire is grounded the horn will sound.

I think about $80 when I bought mine 2 years ago.

Purple wire is power.
Black wire is ground.

That engine has the module to limit revs if there is a problem. Mine doesn't have that, so you could have a slighlty different setup.

jesse_h97

Cadet

K, got rid of the beep by pulling the tan wire from the temp sensor. Do you know if this will effect the rev limiter? The water pumps fine and the water is luke warm so I don't care if the sensor works or not.

jesse_h97

Cadet

Poo, I guess I'll have to take it to the river to find out if it works.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I have the 90 3cyl 2 cy also. I have had two engines with temp problems, the current one and years ago an OMC. Funny, both had "stuck closed thermostats". The outcomes were very different because of the advanced design of the Merc.....course it was a 30 year later model....in all fairness to OMC.

I have the manual and just checked that the solid alarm is in fact temp. The fact that you are having the alarm and rpm problems at the midspeeds and above tells me that your low speed cooling system is working.

Low speed cooling system: Impeller ok, water passages from lower unit pickup holes through powerhead are clear, telltale squirting a nice solid stream....mine shoots water a couple of inches under the surface at idle, thermostat opening at 140F and above. This system is your cooling loop through 2500 rpm's. And I guarantee you, that if the stat sticks closed, the horn will sound (at the lower speeds only) and the water jacket cover (where the temp sensor with the single brown lead is located) will be uncomfortably hot to the touch.

High speed cooling system: Same as above except the pee stream is really squirting now and two other things happen:

1. The ears on the impeller blades bend back and the water pump is pretty much out of the loop due to ram water pressure from the lower unit pickup holes. It could be worn out, but I'd suspect a broken blade or foreign object ingestion in the cooling loop first, due to the rpm's where you are having the problem.

2. The bypass valve opens and allows water to bypass the thermostat. This channel has a much larger opening than the low speed loop to provide for the extra heat load on the cooling system at the higher rpm's and, as happened with me on this engine, if you have a horn at low speeds, you can get above 2500 or so and after a minute or two it will go out and slowing back down will cause it to blast again. BTDT

The fact that rpm's drop off is not a good sign and you may already have permanent damage; but you can inspect for that easily enough.

The rpm drop-off can be caused by the pistons getting hot and expanding in the cylinders to the point where the piston skirts drag on the cylinder walls and this resistance limits the engines rpm's. BTDT with the OMC. If you stop and let things cool off, you can run up again till it gets hot again and you can continue to do this till the engine actually siezes and will not move....BTDT too before I figured out what was going on....with the OMC.
------------
Looking at the rear of your engine, cover off, the water jacket is right in front of you. Upper left corner of it is a bulge, a cap/cover if you will with half a dozen bolts holding it on. The small circle of it is where the thermostat is covered, and the large circle is over the bypass valve.

Remove the cover and inspect for obstructions, especially where the bypass flow occurs. I would think that you would find something very obvious. While the stat is out, just for grins, put it in a slowly heating pan of water and with a candy thermometer or what have you, check for it to start opening at around 140F. The hotter it gets the wider the opening.

Also, while the cover is off, and the components are removed, put the engine on muffs and turn it on....water should freely flow out of the powerhead via those holes (as soon as it gets up there). As soon as you verify that shut it off (the engine) as the top of the top cylinder is getting no cooling.

Then look where that water would normally discharge if the cover were in place and take the water hose to that discharge port and you should get water coming out of the prop.

Once you get through that and fix what needs fixin, pull the sparkplugs and with a small flashlight check the sidewalls of the cylinders. They should be mirror smooth. Any chunks of alum, or scratch marks are signs of what I said above and further investigation is required.

The next thing to do if it looks bad, is to remove the exhaust water jacket cover and all and look in the exhaust ports of the cylinders. As the pistons go by you can get an idea as to how bad the damage is.

If the cylinders are not all scratched up with gouged pieces of alum embedded in the rings and all, and you find your obstruction/problem in the cooling loop, You should be good to go. I think I'd fog the cylinders, just for grins before I went back to the water.

If damaged, you have to decide if you just use it like it is once you have found the cooling problem. Very well may be that once you keep the block cool, with slight damage, rpm's will return to, or very close to where they were prior to the problem. Otherwise better find a couple of K for an overhaul....bore job, oversize piston-rings and that sort of thing.

Would be interested to know what you find.

HTH

Mark

jesse_h97

Cadet

So, the lack of rpm's is not due to a rev limiter? I also have a good steady stream of water while at WOT is this the secondary opening up?. Tomorrow at day light I'll pop the cover and test the thermostat mean while I must get a repair manual. I also failed to mention the alarm sounds when the engine is cool, ie. in the morning before even turning over.

PS thanx for the link to the manuals 96 model must be close to the 95

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

My pee comes off the exhaust water jacket (large flat rectangular cover on the port side of the engine). There is a nylon rt angle connector there. Trace yours back; probably in the same place.

Therefore, pee is available as soon as the power head fills with water without regard for engine/water temp/rpm's or boat speed. Water pressure however is around 6 psig at idle and runs 10-15 at around WOT so at high speed the pee is an intense stream.

If yours is connected as mine, you can't rely on the pee stream to answer your question. You have to know that water IS moving through the powerhead.

Sorry,

Mark

jesse_h97

Cadet

I pulled the thermostat and ran water through both holes with no problem and put the thermostat in hot water and it opened up. put in the water ran it and the pee got low and it shut down at WOT and wouldn't start. I got it home and cranked up no problem whew... I think it overheated, its in the driveway right now. Do you think I killed it? and whats with low stream of water? how do i fix that?

martykard

Recruit

My motor is a 135 Mercury outboard with a constant beep noise. The tan wire on mine connects to a terminal on the side of the motor. The brown and blue wire continues to the alarm speaker behind the dash.

Last edited:

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade

When did you last replace the impeller?

martykard

Recruit

The impellar and lower unit seal kit along with the prop shaft were all replaced in March and I first took the boat out Memorial Day this year. I've only had the boat out about 6 times this year.