Cause of alpha 1 steering freeplay discovered...(video uploaded)

a70eliminator

Captain
So...this was me moving the oitdrive left & right which seemed excessive to me...i guess the pins are wallered out a bit i guess normal for a 40yr old boat?

a70eliminator

Captain
Don't see the videos on my end.

Oh crap video doesnt want to load. Heres a screenshot, the 2 brass pins at the steering attachment pointvare worn or something, ive not yet got it apart but is whats causing the slop.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240515_045147_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240515_045147_Gallery.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20240515_045752_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240515_045752_Gallery.jpg
    707.1 KB · Views: 19

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
check the pinch bolt on the tiller arm.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
The two pins pictured post #5 are not brass unless they've been replaced. Oem is steel and I've never seen one worn to the the point of creating noticeable steering slop

Most often the issue is a worn gimbal ring, steering shaft, tiller arm, or all three. Second most often cause is a worn steering cable or helm and in this case the steering system itself is usually quite stiff even with power steering

a70eliminator

Captain
Yes...the pinch bolt, tiller arem and gimble pin are all tight no slop...if you pinch up on the video and look closely there is ALOT of slop where the steering cable links to tiller arm at both pin points, the pins just look brass in color.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
I see the video link now and have watched it

That is not a lot of slop, especially with the engine not running/power steering actuator disengaged. There is a bit of free play in the design of the system to allow for free movement/less risk of binding during operation and yours looks normal

Feel free to replace the pins, it will not alleviate any free play you are seeing

a70eliminator

Captain
I see the video link now and have watched it

That is not a lot of slop, especially with the engine not running/power steering actuator disengaged. There is a bit of free play in the design of the system to allow for free movement/less risk of binding during operation and yours looks normal

Feel free to replace the pins, it will not alleviate any free play you are seeing

Bondo

Staff member
What exactly is that piece called? The piece with the pins at end of steering ram.
Ayuh,... That's the working end of the P/S actuator,......

Some of that slop is then P/S hyd. valve, that tightens up when the pump is running,...
That's how it knows whether to push, or pull,.....