Caulking

jmfstl

Seaman
I have a 14' Lund aluminum fishing boat. It is getting a few minor leaks and I noticed the caulking along the seams has seen better days. I was going to pull the old caulking off and reseal it with silicone.

Will the silicone be adequate or is there something better to use?

Thanks,

jmfstl

Seaman
Re: Caulking

Thanks for the reply. I cannot put this on the inside of the boat as it is coated with a Rino-Liner type material. Can this just be painted on the outside where the rivets and seams meet. Also, I have cleaned the dry and cracked caulking from the seam on one side of the boat. What would you recommend resealing the seam and putting Gluvit over the top or just using Gluvit alone?

Thanks,

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Gluvit can be applied from the outside but you'll have to paint it to protect it from UV. The product shrew posted may be better for the outside.

robert graham

Admiral

On my 1983 aluminum riveted canoe I use 3M Yellow Weatherstrip adhesive in some outside seams and rivets, stays flexible, very tough stuff, works well. I wire brush the area to clean and rough up the surface. Usually go back over it every couple of years to re-seal any areas. Good Luck!

jmfstl

Seaman

Thanks for the information. I think Shrew may have the best idea.

jmfstl

Seaman

On my 1983 aluminum riveted canoe I use 3M Yellow Weatherstrip adhesive in some outside seams and rivets, stays flexible, very tough stuff, works well. I wire brush the area to clean and rough up the surface. Usually go back over it every couple of years to re-seal any areas. Good Luck!

Did you work this into the seams or just cover over them?

robert graham

Admiral

If you can flip your boat over, it'll be easier and better to work on it with the 3M stuff. It'll flow in and around cracks and rivets, dries flexible a tough, even an oyster bar can't rip it off. I've used this for 20+ years on my aluminum canoe with no leaks or lost rivets, usually check back over it every couple of years and touch up any areas that need it. Cabela's used to sell a green epoxy in sticks that you could apply to an aluminum hull with a propane torch and I tried it and the 3M is better for sure! Probably lots of ways to skin this cat, but 3M has worked good for me. Big tube at Autozone about $7. Good Luck!