Catfish deskinning technique

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Guys,<br /><br />We just bought a live catfish from the fish market (yea, I know, no time to catch my own).<br /><br />Anyway, the guy used a new (to me) technique for taking the skin off.<br /><br />He threw it a bath of "something" for a couple of minutes.<br /><br />Then he took it out and used a scrubbing pad (the black and silver balls of mesh type material used to scrub the kitchen sink) and just scrubbed the skin off. It was all off in under one minute.<br /><br />Anyboy ever seen this? Is this an old trick that proves I have been living under a rock? What the heck was the "something" in the bath?<br /><br />Ken

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Catfish deskinning technique

Nope, not me.<br />I have always just drove a nail through thier head into a tree, took a good, shave you sharp, Case XX knife and a good pair of shinning pliers and had at it.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Never heard of that...I simply cut the skin around the filet and grab with pliars and pull off. That catfish skin is some tough stuff... :cool:

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by kenimpzoom:<br /> <br /><br />Then he took it out and used a scrubbing pad (the black and silver balls of mesh type material used to scrub the kitchen sink) and just scrubbed the skin off. It was all off in under one minute.<br /><br />Ken
A bag is available made of a material similar to what you describe. Place fish in bag and drag behind boat for a set period, usually 1 or 2 minutes depending on type of fish.<br /><br />The fish come out deskined (and descaled!). I've heard that if your timing is out you can rip the fish to pieces.<br /><br />Aldo

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The fish come out deskined (and descaled!). I've heard that if your timing is out you can rip the fish to pieces.<br /><br />Aldo
Depends on what size prop you use. :D

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but here's how I've heard to ready carp for eating:<br />1. Catch carp<br />2. Nail carp sideways through head to wooden board<br />3. Carefully cut along mud-line on carp body.<br />4. Carefully cut along the back of the carp on either side of the dorsal fin.<br />5. Gently cut filets off carp sides<br />6. Pull nail from carp head & board<br />7. Dispose of carp carcass, filets and nail<br />8. Cook board in pre-heated 350* oven for 1 hr.<br />9. Eat the board

LadyFish

Admiral

Ha Brian that's funny.<br /><br />I clean bullhead and/or catfish the same way as SBN does and always have.<br /><br />After reading this thread however, I am thinking of running them through my washing machine on the low load gentle cycle to see if this does the trick. If not, I will keep increasing the the speed until the desired results are had. :)

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

why u wanna remove skin? peels right off after<br />it's cooked.

ebbtide176

Commander

dang, i've never heard of anyone cooking a catfish with skin on...

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

ebb...there are some folks out there that cook their catfish with the skin on. My old friend from Portugal just bakes them...head and all. :cool:

BinLurkin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mellowyellow has it. I don't skin or scale nothin'. Like he said, it just peels right off when cooked.