catching mahi mahi

MOTguy

Cadet
I am new to fishing and would like some pointers on catching dolphin. I am hesitant to use live bait and would prefer lures or skirts. Would appreciate any input or success stories.

krosemond

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: catching mahi mahi

Hey Motguy, where you are fishing is this most important thing! Dolphin (Mahi Mahi) come in two classes, gaffers and chickens. The gaffers are larger and can be found in pairs, usually the bull(male with the square head) and the cow. You can catch them on the troll using dead baits (ballyhoo) with a skirt or sea witch in front, skipped across the surface. Use 20# or 30# outfits. Zuker's tuna lures work well with a faster troll. I like green and yellow for bright days, black and purple for overcast days, for both lures and deadbait skirts.<br /><br />Look for weedlines or other floating debris, somewhere near where the green inshore water meets the blue offshore water (and beyond). Again, that depends on where you are fishing. I fish the NC coast, but spent 10 years in Stuart, FL. If you find any substantial weed line or floating logs, pallets or any flotsam, look closely underneath for signs of small school dolphin. You can chum them right up to the boat using chunks of bonita (Little Tunny). Always keep one hooked fish in the water and they will hang around til you can catch them all (but only keep what you can use). Sometimes if you start blind chumming a large patch of weeds, you can flush out the schoolies. Catch 'em on 6lb spinning rods for lots of fun. <br /><br />Lots of luck. Let me know where you are planning to fish, and if I have fished there, I will give you an idea of where to start looking.

MOTguy

Cadet

Thanks for the tips. I recently fished off of Ft. Lauderdale and Pompano Beach. We tried trolling with several different lures and skirts with not much luck. I know they are finicky eaters but we trolled for several hours with only a couple of bites. I had some success with a rapala lure that rattles when it swims. I still have a great time whether we catch anything or not however the misses thinks I'm off doing something I shouldn't be when I don't come home with fish. Ha Ha !!

krosemond

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Motguy, even the best come home skunked sometimes. I fished in Islamorada(in the keys)for 2 days in March, with only one fish.<br />The wind was out of the NW and it blew the inshore turtle grass into huge weedlines, but no fish were there. Good thing is my wife was with me! No matter what you are using, you can't catch what isn't there. The best thing you can learn is what to look for and how to find the fish. Fishing out of Stuart is not much different than fishing off Broward and Palm beach, which I have done a little, except the stream is further out. Wait for a day with moderate E,SE,or S winds (Forget NW,NE,SW). Start at the edge of the bluewater pulling lures that track straight without jumping at 10-12 knots. This will allow you to cover some water while you look for a fishy spot. Troll SE (to crosstrack the northerly current of the stream)until you see an area that looks good. Go as far as your nerve, your fuel and time permit. There are fish all the way to the bahamas, and some days in the summer you have to go way out to find them. I assume you have a GPS, if not get one. Be careful of not getting set way north from the current. You have a good chance at a blind strike while doing this. Check out everything you see on the water, current edges, birds working the surface, and especially weedlines and flotsam. I caught a 36 pounder under a floating clorox bottle once. Learn how to spot a frigate or man 'o' war bird, they will always show you dolphin. <br /><br />Once you find a fish, switch to dead baits with skirts and troll 5-8 knots. Learn to rig them right, or buy rigged baits. Baits rigged on 80-120 mono leaders catch more fish.<br /><br />Bottom line is, learning how to find them is the first step in a successful day.<br /><br />Good luck and tight lines. Let me know how you do on your next trip. By the way, what kind of boat are you running? Do you have Outriggers?

krosemond

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One more thing...I once found 3 floating pallets fishing the tongue of the ocean from Chubb Cay in the Berry Islands in the Bahamas. We caught 9 dolphin over 30 pounds and lost 3 times that many because everytime we trolled by we had five on at a time. True story. Chubb Cay is about 80 miles east of Bimini. After you get some time under your belt, and if you are really into boating, it is an easy skip across the gulf stream to the islands from Pompano in a relatively small boat 23-26 feet. I took a 24 Topaz single diesel across 20 times or so from Stuart. From Walker's Cay in the Abacos all the way down to Bimini and the berrys and every little rock in between. The only thing I miss about Florida is everything east of the beaches and the close proximity to the islands. You can have everthing west of the breakers until you start getting wet on the other side of the peninsula.<br /><br />
smile.gif

davidroddy

Cadet

MOTguy,<br /> <br /> I agree with krosemond a fast troll is the essential but, the most important factor is location. Some kind of structure mean everything. Remember, if it makes a shadow it will hold bait under it. I live in south texas and fish for the Mahi Mahi (strong strong) all the time. Earlier you stated that they are picky eaters. Don't be fooled. I would say that they are just the opposite. Infact I have read that they are one of if not the fastest growing game fish in tropical waters and can weigh up to 50lbs in only 2 yrs. I to like to pull lures behind the two outboards but have found that the lures that are the farthest behind the boat and out of the prop wash tend to get the most hits. The colors mentioned by krosemond are right on the money. If you are fishing hard and dont get a hit after 30 minutes or so..... get moving to some other structure. Oh yeah almost forgot. If you will check some of the better weather sights and fishing sights you will find info on the gulf stream. Find it, get on it, and hold on. Most fish migrate along the stream. This is where you will find those days when you catch many species of game fish in the same spot ie.. sail mahi marlin. I use this info regularly with fantastic results although it may mean a boat ride of up to 3 or more hours one way.