catalina island or san celemente island?

athenb

Cadet
just wondering can a 20 foot boat make it to any of these islands i have a 65 gallon tank with a 150 gt johnson engine 1985?

RoyR

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: catalina island or san celemente island?

Better be a really smooth day and bring a kidney belt! :)

QC

Supreme Mariner

Make it and should are two different things . . . I've been to Catalina in a 21 footer and it's no big deal. Need a VHF. No fuel at San Clemente, so I would stay away from that although you'd probably make it there and back.

The trick is to go over AND return in the AM . . . afternoons can be pretty nasty except that you are usually running with the wind. Where would you put in?

_chris_

Chief Petty Officer

I have been interested in this as well but to scared to just do it. My grandfather did it in a 1967 16 footer years ago but he probably has more brass than me. I believe it is only 26 miles out so I don't think fuel would be an issue. I go fishing out that way all the time on a 23' trophy with an idiot of a captian so anything is possible.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I run over every once in a while just for fun. I go over, poke around the marina area, run over to the Isthmus and then haul arse back. I am usually back before noon.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Dont go near San Clemente...The Navy may be using it that day for artillery practice! They own it ya know..
One time a F15 buzzed us on a 45 footer at dang near wheelhouse level..the whole ship was bobbing like a cork!! Nice to see our tax dollars scaring the beegeeezers outta ya! (was very cool though..)

I attempted to run out to Catalina on my 17 footer with a (don't laugh) 35 Evinrude Lark..(no kicker either)..Got out 5 or 6 miles outta San Pedro and decided I had no business heading out there!

At 3pm that channel turns nasty..Winds pick up, gets sloppy...I'd suggest another 5 or 6 feet of boat before attempting it...

My Buddy had a 25 foot Farralon, we made the run a few times to the backside, but even with that heavy boat it was a rough ride home

QC

Supreme Mariner

Agreed ^^^^