Cast Iron Cookware

SoulWinner

Commander
Ok, since the cast iron cookware was brought up severaL times in the SS cook ware thread, I have some questions about cast iron now. <br /><br />Seasoning: I seasoned mine in the oven. I put crisco on it and stuck in the oven at about 350 for several hours. Is that the right way to do it? It turned out ok and all, but stuff sticks to it like my stainless cookware. I don't know why.<br /><br />Oiling: It was mentioned that the stuff should be oiled between uses. How? With Pam? With a paper towel with some vegitabe oil on it? I don't oil mine, I clean it in soap and water and put it away, maybe that's why stuff sticks to it?<br /><br />What type of cooking do you do with cast iron cookware? I have a smallish cast iron skillet and am thinking of getting a couple more pieces. What would you recomend, and for what type of cooking?? <br /><br />Thanks!

gaugeguy

Captain
Re: Cast Iron Cookware

Never use soap on a seasoned cast iron skillet. You want to build up that seasoning after every use to make it non-stick. That soap will get into the pores, and ruin the seasoning. To clean it, put water in it and heat it up. The crusties will work off. Then hit it with crisco on a paper towel again. It's a lot of work, but it really is worth it.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Best method I know is to hide under the truck after dinner. Wifey will clean it, because I am "busy" :eek: :eek:

SoulWinner

Commander

GG, should I re-season it in the oven, since I clean it in soapy water?

gaugeguy

Captain

Yeah, it really should be re-cleaned with a soft scouring pad (no soap), dried quickly and re-seasoned. The best way to season it is to use bacon grease. Bake it for an hour or so then remove it, pour out the excess grease and then bake it at 300 for a couple hours. Don't use pam or liquid crisco to re-season after use. Use the solid crisco (or better yet, solid bacon grease). It really does make food taste better.

gaugeguy

Captain

Oh yeah, the first few times you use it after seasoning, you should cook only really fatty foods (bacon, sausage etc.), that will help seat the seasoning.

SoulWinner

Commander

mmmmmmm....bacon grease..... I LOVE bacon grease!! That stuff is great for all kinds of stuff!! I like to use a little of it in water for cooking rice, or in mashed taters. Most diffinatly for cooking peas and greens! I will re-season my skillet today with bacon grease. I keep a jar of it in the fridge. Thanks for the tip!!!!! And man I love your avatar! Penguins are the coolest.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

anything that sticks will come off by just filling it with water and heating it a bit. The goo will just dissolve and you can wipe it out with paper towels. If the pan is already seasoned, you can just wipe it lightly with vegetable oil after you clean it, as in the above.<br /><br />They don't have to look new and pretty when you are finished. That's why Mamas won't allow them in the kitchen.

gaugeguy

Captain

Just be careful storing bacon grease Wes, it smells awful when it goes rancid :eek:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Pretty much as above, except I season with peanut oil (skillets and dutch oven) or olive oil (pizza pan and pizza stone).<br /><br />Do not cook highly acid stuff like tomato sauce or chili in a seasoned skillet or dutch oven. Takes the seasoning out.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

take it from a dego, use pure vir6in olive oil<br />to season at first, they require attention, but<br />cast iron is the best for longer cooking items<br />cuz they keep a more even temp.<br />as for stuff sticking, stuff stuck to the bottom <br />after cooking is the best part! (if not burned) :p <br />add a shot or 2 of water right before serving and<br />lift the flavor.<br />capish?<br /><br />SW, use cast iron for things that need to cook <br />awhile and use SS for the high heat/sear stuff.<br />My got both ;)

ehenry

Commander

The way my grandaddy seasoned cast iron stuff for granny was he'd build a big fire outside, smear the utinsile with bacon grease and throw it in a hot fire....when it'd been in the fire for a while and stomp down hot he'd drag it out and pour more bacon grease in , on it and all over it. It smoked like heck when he did...thn he just left it outside to cool down with that grease all over it so it'd go into the pores of the metal.

oddjob

Commander

Its easy......use it every day and rinse it when your done with hot water. then put it back on the stove to air dry. Iron is all I use and I just made chili in a dutch oven I got for 3 bucks at good will. Didnt need to stir it and the seasoning remains in tack. <br /><br />Dont ever use soap or pam.

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What about cast iron grates on a BBQ grill?<br />I've always cleaned them with a wire brush and then coated with peanut oil after grilling.I'm sure this isn't the way your suppose to do it

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

EF is right here as long as it's gonna be used<br />early/often. the more u use it, the better it cooks.<br /><br />and if your 16yr old son puts her in the dishwasher<br />even though u expressly told him not to...<br />see step 1

ehenry

Commander

Hey MellowYellow, what about a 40ish something year old wife that puts it in the dishwasher??? Whattaya do then?

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by efhenry:<br /> Hey MellowYellow, what about a 40ish something year old wife that puts it in the dishwasher??? Whattaya do then?
Smile and see step 1 :D

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Don't worry about athing ef. I have ironskillits that have been in my family for a few generations and they get used everyday, get washed with soap and water everyday, and they perform flawlessly everyday... :D

SoulWinner

Commander

Thanks you guys for all the usfull information. Man, I just love this place!

one more cast

Captain

Cast iron is also the only pan to use for blackened fish. Put a cast iron pan on the side burner of your grill (DO NOT ADD OIL) (DO NOT TRY THIS IN YOU KITCHEN) and turn it on high for 10 Min's. The pan will start to turn white. Dip fish in melted butter and coat heavily with blackening spice, Cajun spice, or your favorite seasoning and drop in the smoking pan. Cook a minute or two or five on one side and flip over for another 1-5 minutes. Yum Yum