Carry extra gas can onboard?

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade
OK, stupid question, but important.

Can I/should I carry an extra can of gas onboard in case I run out? Say a 5 gal plastic can or the like. Seems like a good idea, but is it safe?

Where would one store a gas can? Under a seat or is that stupid due to fumes potentially building up? Under my WIFE's seat (for the same reason)?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Carry extra gas can onboard?

I used to fish offshore between Biloxi, MS and Ship Island, a distance of about 10 miles. I had a 13' boat and a 6 gallon tank. I always carried extra fuel and refueled out at the islands before returning. Kinda awkward, but I'd get in behind the island, where the wind wasn't blowing the waves up and get after it.

The boat was of open construction other than a large deck up front and an open type splashwell at the stern.

On other boats, while on vacation, I'd carry extra fuel and refuel the boat and this boat was an open bow tri hull with built in fuel tank.

If the can is sealed real good, I wouldn't be worried about fumes. Remember you need about a 12 percent fuel-air mix to get her to go up......that's a lot of fumes. Just because your nose picks up the smell of gas doesn't mean she's fixing to blow. You can get that smell off your hands after you have washed them with soap.
Mark

tommays

Admiral

I try to be very carefull about staying well within my tank range

On most boats with and internal tank it would be diffcult at best to NOT have a spill while trying to refuel on the water

Tommays

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

I wouldn't carry extra fuel around to have it avaliable "just in case" you ran out of fuel.

Three sugestions
1. buy fuel from a marina while out boating
2. Install a larger/additional fuel tank
3. Don't go so far as to run out of fuel

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I'm against it generally...different story if it's gas you plan on using...myself, I use two 6-gal portables...first one runs dry, puts me on notice. But if you have room, why not a gallon or two?

Serious concentration of fumes will only accumulate in a compartment that is closed on all sides. And only to the extent of empty space inside it. Otherwords a full gas can that completely fills a compartment leaves no room for fumes.

Of course anything inside there with it will smell like gasoline forever.

Best empty it into the tank after each trip & refill with fresh - be a shame to carry it around for a year then it screws up your engine.

gewf631

Chief Petty Officer

As long as the gas can is approved, isn't too large, and in good shape, I see no reason not to. I have a couple smaller gas cans around the house, and I always bring one if I know I'll be out on the water for awhile - or if it's nearing the end of the season, and I want to run my internal tank dry.
Make sure you open the vent (to accommodate expansion from sunlight), and that the can is stable (I like the square/rectangular cans for this reason). A few gallons of gas is heavy enough that the gas can stays-put, so storage isn't really a problem.

On a few occasions where I've needed-it, it's nice to have that comfort zone.

zuke1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i dont know how hot it gets on your lakes... but here in az its a good practice to ensure the vent on the gas container is loosened enough to ensure the lid doesnt blow off.

i used to carry a little 2 gallon gas can, just in case... and im glad i did, because the one time i ran out of gas, i was able to just pour some from my reserve can, and mix some oil with my handy oil mixer, and had more than enough gas to get to the ramp and leave....

so im all for it...

good luck

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OK. Thanks. I'm still not sure anout my idea then. Most say make sure it's vented. However, I'm wondering why I can't just use my 3 gal plastic gas can with the top closed. It does have a vent that I pop off when I fill it, but I never laeve the vent open in the strage shed, which gets as hot as a boat. As far as I know no one does. I know when I've used little 9.9hp boats that you drive in the back, the gas can (gas tank in that case) is vented, right? But that's for the tank you're drawing out of.
So, as I'm still not sure about this, I'll say what I wanted to do specifically and you folks please comment on whether it's completely safe. I want to mostly fill my rectangular 3-5 gal. plastic gas can (3/4 full or whatever) then put it under my rear "jump seat" maybe held extra secure with a bungee. The jump seat picks up and the space under it connects to the engine compartment (all open back there).

Thanks again. Sorry to prolong this but safety is critical as we all know.

tommays

Admiral

i have had 2 small outboards with built in tanks what a PITA it was filling those on the boat without spilling any gas

Which had to be done a LOT as they were such small tanks

Tommays

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

TMH, Extra 3 and 6 gal outboard tanks are less than $20 new, if you look aroung a bit. Why not just use one of those. They are approved for that use and the fuel line can be switched from one to the other.

On a sterndrive or inboard, be very careful with portable tanks. The fumes are heavier than air and will find their way into the bilge, causing a potential fire. Good quality gas cans (both marine and lawnmower-type) are strong enough to seal completely, and not allow fumes in the boat.

rottenray6402

Ensign

On my little boat there is only room under the splash well area for 1 6gal tank so I carry a little 1 gal extra which fits under there with the bigger tank. The lake I leave my boat in is only 4 miles long and 2 miles wide but that is a long row if I run out of fuel! I have never had any problems doing it that way.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

And, if you ever find a person that has run out of gas it is much easier to give them gas from a portable tank than from your built in one.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Maybe I wasn't clear. I have a sterndrive so I don't have a portable tank for gas. The outboard tanks I've seen aren't made to pour out of, are they? I thought this is what the plastic ones were for.

Thanks

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Then make sure your tank is full before you head out. How far are you going if your tank isn't enough? Probably too far anyways. No extra portable tanks are going to take you back home...especially if you can empty your main tank getting there!

So, fill up before you go and turn around before you see half empty on the gauge!!!...and leave the gas can at home!

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I would NOT store a portable can or tank on a I/O in the engine compartment! WAY to risky!!

zuke1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i dont carry an extra gas can any more........

now all i carry is a hand syphon pump.. so if i should run out, i can always buy some gas off someone passing by.
havent needed it yet, but thats what im doing to save space.

plus i have a 15 gallon built in tank and i have never used more than 5 gallons in a day.

studlymandingo

Commander

i have never used more than 5 gallons in a day

That's awesome, haven't seen those days since the 16' with the 70HP! Now I use 5 gallons in a half hour!

I do carry a spare can on board, I have a 70 gallon tank, and have yet to use the spare can (I regularly empty and refill while mowing the lawn) but for some reason that little 2.5 gallon can makes me feel good!

Silver/Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Years ago I carried an extra fuel can in my "open" Alumacraft fishing boat.

Today in my i/o I woundn't even think about it...Too dangerous, too messy, and just one more thing I would have to worrry about.

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sorry, but I have to correct a technical error by Texasmark - the LEL (lower explosive limit) of gasoline in air is just 1.2 percent, not 12 percent. I have been selling gas detection equipment for about 20 yrs & have that particular number memorized. I personally would not carry extra - I have a 23ft cuddy I/O with a 45 gal built-in tank - but still don't like the idea of a portable tank on board. Especially if it has to be stored in an enclosed area - no container I know of is guaranteed leakproof. And in a fiberglass hull, there is static electricity build up everywhere - it doesn't need to be a 12V spark to light things up.