Carphunter- Beagles

Kenneth Brown

Captain
I see you have a hunter. Do you ever use him for squirrls? I have 4 beagles right now. I had a young pup that had a great bawl, he was gonna be a heck of a dog. I let him run with a young gip and he never came back. He's been gone about a week now, I figure the hogs got him. I have 2 older *****es that are pretty much breeders, there good dogs, just aren't nose smart. I have a "stud" if you will that is nose smart but is almost worthless. He just runs scents and doesn't like to return, even at home when I let him run. Mine so far have only been around rabbits but I would like to start using them for squirrls and was looking for advice if you have. I now a rat terrier is the preffered breed but I love my beagles, even the ones that don't hunt. They are just the best dogs made.

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Carphunter- Beagles

Ive got two whippets one works rabbits all the time but wont chase a ball the other chases anything you throw for him but if a rabbit runs he just stops and watches is. Lovelly dogs around the house because they dont bark!

Fly Rod

Commander

:) You guys brought back a few memories!!!<br /><br />Did alot of cottontail hunting years back, but around here where it was excellent rabbit hunting it was also a good spot to build a house!!! To many houses, not worth having hunting dogs around hereany more!!!<br /><br />Had a number of beagles!!! Loved that breed!!!<br /><br />Had some good hounds and some bad ones!!!<br /><br />Also had that one excellent hound of a life time!!<br />That rabbit was ethier in the game pouch or holed up when ya hunted with that one dog!!! ;) :cool:

Carphunter

Commander

Hello Kenneth,<br />Well, I can't say that I have ever tried to use any of my beagles for squirrel hunting, even though I know some who have. <br />I had a beagle named "Flash", who was the best dang rabbit dog you ever seen. She would never wander too far, and she would work every inch of cover, no matter how thick. I bought the dog I have now, (named Simba...........yep, my boys named him ;) ), when he was a pup. My plans were to have Flash "teach" Simba the tricks of the trade under actual hunting conditions. To make a long story short, Flash died before I could really get Simba trained properly. My desire to rabbit hunt sort of faded after she died. Simba has become more of a pet now, than a hunting dog.<br />Sorry to ramble, but the few fella's that I know that use dogs for squirrels, seem to have better luck with the rat terriers. Personally, I have never hunted with them. <br />The squirrels are so thick around here, you just point your shotgun up and fire, and down comes your limit. ;) <br /><br />Sorry I wasn't much help.<br /><br />Good Luck. :)

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Thanks. My mom has a minpin that hunts the fire out of squirrels. I was wanting to teach my beagles to hunt both because the land I am buying has both and excellant formation for these types of hunting.