Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? Preliminary diagnosis is in!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Who's had it and who's taken the cure? and how quick were you back at it?

For some time now, certain motions and requirements of my left hand have been inhibited. Yesterday, I spent a couple of hours leaning on my left hand while down on my knees painting primed rust spots on the top of one of my 40 ft shipping containers. When I got home, it was if my left hand was asleep.

I took an ibuprofen before retiring and it is marginally better this morning but still noticably useless.

This is a real PITA. I'm in the middle of redoing the house, working on the boat and heading to Ketchican AK, for a weeks fishing trip the last week of July. Not to mention the fact that I currently earn my daily bread by using both hands. Arrrrrrrrgh!

JRJ

Commander
Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?

I've only had the pain and never took the cure, however, my advice is to cut out the activities that you know aggravate the problem so you don't ruin that fishing trip. You are just doing too much, so get some help.

Good luck Boomyal.

Manipulator

Senior Chief Petty Officer

True carpal tunnel is when you feel numbness and tingling in the thumb, index finger, middle finger and half of the ring finger. There is a nerve called the median nerve that passes through the wrist joint (the carpal tunnel). Around the wrist is a band called the flexor retinaculum. This band holds the tendons of flexion muscles of the forearm muscles in place. Due to repetitive motion the tendons and flexor retinaculum become inflamed and compromise the space in the tunnel thus compressing the nerve. As mentioned, limit the repetitive stress on the wrist joint. That may not be an option right now with all the work you have planned. They do sell wrist braces to keep the wrist in an extended position, which will help, but it?s hard to work when wearing one but you could wear it at night. First option is limit the stress. Surgery is an option but really a last resort. What they do is cut the flexor retinaculum, which allows more space in the tunnel. The problem is it?s really just buys time. The procedure will cause a scar, with time that scar tissue will become fibrotic and fibrotic tissue causes inflammation and you?re back to where you started. Physical therapy will focus on using modalities to help with the inflammation and stretching exercises. Chiropractic uses a similar approach but takes it a bit further by manipulating or rather adjusting the wrist joint. This frees up any restrictions in the wrist carpal joints. You could just have some carpal bones in the wrist that aren?t moving properly and causing one of the carpal bones to move out of position and press on the nerve. Anti-inflammatory medication can help but it?s really just a band-aid fix as it does nothing but treat the symptoms and not the cause. There are some other problems that can mimic carpal tunnel syndrome. The median nerve which is the culprit travels quit a way to its destination and can get hung up anywhere on the way. It?s common for patients to exhibit CPT symptoms when there isn?t a problem in the wrist at all. It can and often is due to pinching of the nerve roots that exit the spine at the neck. As a chiropractor I see this problem all the time. We do a complete exam checking the neck, the shoulder, the elbow and the wrist to determine where the nerve is being pressed on. We also will incorporate nerve studies to test each nerve to determine which is involved. This helps a lot but isn?t a pleasant test for the patient. It involves testing the nerve conduction velocity and muscle activity using electric impulses and needles. I would suggest seeing a chiropractor who specializes in sports medicine. If that is not an option I would ice the heck out of it and stop doing anything that provokes it. Vitamin B6 has been shown to help CTS. We also have used acupuncture with great success.

dooma_Flatchy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've had severe carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands, Doctor told me it was the way my wrist was formed,,, not enough room for the median nerve. I had surgery on both hands. It was the best thing that has ever happened to me. I had constant numbness in thumbs and first 2 fingers and cramping, I had right hand done and then 3 weeks later left hand 6 weeks out of work. I let it go for way to long and now have permanent muscle loss in the right hand (about 30%).But it's not really a problem except when the wife has to open that jar of pickles :redface:, Anyway I wish I had done it years before. Now even with the muscle loss I can do 100 times I couldn't do before.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Boomyal, you on any kind of diet regiment?
Do you take any diet pills that include hoodia?
The reason I ask is my youngest daughter just went through this.
She had done everything except the surgery and then the doctor ask her the same questions, and she told him yes she was, well he told her to stop taking it and in a weeks time, her's was back to normal.
Just thought I would throw that out there.

Manipulator

Senior Chief Petty Officer

For some, surgery is the answer but for most of the cases out there, conservative management is all that is needed. Some people have the surgery and it fixes the problem. Others have it and like I mentioned, it just buys them time until the scar tissue becomes an issue. I think they are starting to use endoscopic techniques now that are less invasive and cause less colateral damage.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the explanation Manipulator. I'll try to lay off the use of it and take a few more ibuprophen. I tried to use a nail clipper this morning, with my left hand, and could not even squeeze the clipper closed with my thumb and forefinger.

I think I will go consult an expert for an inperson diagnoses.

Dooma Flatchy, did your numbness go away?

SBN, no Hoodia here, just a few Vodka Tonics with generous doses of Vitaman C squeezed in it.:D

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I've only had the pain and never took the cure, however, my advice is to cut out the activities that you know aggravate the problem so you don't ruin that fishing trip. You are just doing too much, so get some help.

Good luck Boomyal.

Yeah JRJ, that's what my wife says. She says I'm too old to be doing all this stuff and that I should hire it done. Problem with that is that I expect to have enough money left over, when all her desires are met, to build my 3.5 car remote garage/shop. (yes more work) If I pay to to have all the house stuff done, there won't be enough moolah left over to built a lean to.:(

dooma_Flatchy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the explanation Manipulator. I'll try to lay off the use of it and take a few more ibuprophen. I tried to use a nail clipper this morning, with my left hand, and could not even squeeze the clipper closed with my thumb and forefinger.

I think I will go consult an expert for an inperson diagnoses.

Dooma Flatchy, did your numbness go away?

SBN, no Hoodia here, just a few Vodka Tonics with generous doses of Vitaman C squeezed in it.:D

The minute I woke I was in instant relief.I didn't even have to have any pain meds. I still get cramps in my muscle under my thumb and I still cannot touch my pinky finger to thumb on my right hand, but thats because I put the surgery off for years. The surgeon had to cut about a 4 inch cut at the bottom center of my palm to the top of my wrist(about 8 to 10 stitches). I'm not saying that surgery is the best thing for you, every case is different,

Have you had a nerve conduction test done? Thats the best way to see how bad the nerve is being pinched.

JRJ

Commander

Just a guess of course, but I bet your wife would be happy to fore-go a thing or two just to not have you in pain.

PS: up the vodka, because vitamin C is highly overrated, and a straw will lessen the strain on your wrist. Get well soon.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Just a guess of course, but I bet your wife would be happy to fore-go a thing or two just to not have you in pain. Not that I am in pain JRJ, it's just that the hand won't work,

PS: up the vodka, because vitamin C is highly overrated, and a straw will lessen the strain on your wrist. Yeah, that's the ticket. I'll get a big straw that will drain that glass quickly without any strain on the ol' wrist. Get well soon.

:D:D:D

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

The minute I woke I was in instant relief.I didn't even have to have any pain meds. I still get cramps in my muscle under my thumb and I still cannot touch my pinky finger to thumb on my right hand, but thats because I put the surgery off for years. The surgeon had to cut about a 4 inch cut at the bottom center of my palm to the top of my wrist(about 8 to 10 stitches). I'm not saying that surgery is the best thing for you, every case is different,

Have you had a nerve conduction test done? No I haven't. Just asked Mrs boomyal to make an appointment. Thats the best way to see how bad the nerve is being pinched.
xxx

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Went to the Doctor today. Their preliminary diagnosis is that my numbness is not Carpal Tunnel but a restriction of the Ulnar nerve that comes down from the shoulder, thru the elbow and down to the hand. It is one of three nerve systems that end up in the hand. Carpal nerve is one and the third one eludes me.

They recommended that I have an NCV (nerve conduction velocity study) of the Ulnar nerve. Here is a wikipedia link regarding the Ulnar nerve.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulnar_nerve

JRJ

Commander
Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? Preliminary diagnosis is in!

Sorry to hear that. You are going to have to break out the good whiskey and definitely get yourself some help. ...............I may be available to help with the whiskey. Good luck again.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

...............I may be available to help with the whiskey.

I'll hold ya to that next time I come down to Redding for an In-and-Out Burger.:D I just may have to hold on to the glass with my right hand.

DSCF0089.jpg

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer

Boom? How old are ya? Because eating like that maybe its your heart ;)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Boom? How old are ya? Because eating like that maybe its your heart ;)

As a matter of fact valkyr, just turned too old this very day.:( I do suffer from an enlarged left ventrical but my cholesterol level is at 115. Bring on those Burgers.:p

JRJ

Commander

Those are good burgers. Your photo always makes me hungry. Have right handed glasses available.