Carby rebuild kit - Merc 650

Troy_from _Oz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hi there, Just wondering what will be included in a carby rebuild kit? (1971 4cyl merc 650 65hp)<br /><br />I had a look at<br /> http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...png&inbr=450&bnbr=9&bdesc=CARBURETOR+ASSEMBLY <br /><br />and noticed that the rebuild kit costs $61.75<br />if I purcahase new:<br />float assembly $9.40<br />inlet needle,seat and gasket $6.90<br />gasket and packing set $4.75<br />carb flange gasket $1.05<br /><br />these cost $22.10<br /><br />just wondering what other parts am I missing that I'd definitely need?<br /><br />Many thanks<br />Troy

greasemonkeyozi

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Carby rebuild kit - Merc 650

Whenever I do carbs, I just get new needle and seat, floats, gasket set, and a can of carborator cleaner. I dont really see any need in anything else that you wil need unless something else on the carbs need replacing. Make sure the floats have a card on how to set them, most floats are different. If you buy new floats to replace the old ones, and they are exactly the same, I wouldnt worry about resetting them if their not off set.

Troy_from _Oz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the input guys - Ill go ahead and just buy the parts i listed for now and replace anything else that crops up along the way. Seems a big difference in price for no real gain- add to that the exchange rate to Au dollars and i was looking like $180-200 just for the carb kits alone (2 carbies)! <br /><br />At that price i was considering just leaving them as they are, but im much happier to overhaul them if its only going to cost me $60AU<br /><br /> :D <br /><br />Many thanks again<br /><br />troy

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

Outboard motors...<br />Very expensive toys over here.<br />Plug leads are about $30.00AU<br />Electric choke soloniod $230.00 :eek: <br />Starter @$300.00<br />For everything else.. There's Mastercard.. :D <br />Reckon I'm in the wrong business.

greasemonkeyozi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well you guys, I have the hook up on used motor parts for reasonable prices. If anyone of you are interested, Ihave his web site. Email me at Greasemonkeyozi@yahoo.com for details.

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

Aussie $ is not too bad at present, so it may be well worth it.<br />The shipping doesn't take that long these days either.

Troy_from _Oz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

mercury.grease.rag - Just emailed ya about that site :) <br /><br />Even though our Aussie dollar is pretty strong - I sure wish my salary was scaled up by the same amount! ;)