carburetor problem

Max_Door

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, still tinkering with my 56 15hp johnson. <br />I replaced all coils, points, condensors and cleaned and kitted carb. fuel system seems to hold pressure fine. I believed that it was running great, idled smooth, etc. But having a new problem: If I tilt the motor over the transom while there is tank pressure, it begins to leak fuel out some small hole in the top of the carb. Then, when I lower the motor back down and try to start, motor will hit a few times then not start, may not start for several hours. Will eventually start later or the next day. Seems to help if I release the pressure on the tank before I tilt motor up. Am I doing something wrong? I am learning as I go along here, any help appreciated!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: carburetor problem

When you tlt the engine, you're changing the float level within the carburetor. This allows fuel to pass through the carburetor freely due to pressure existing in the fuel tank.<br /><br />In all probability, this is flooding the engine with fuel, resulting in the hard starting problem.<br /><br />Try releasing the pressure in the fuel tank before tilting the engine.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: carburetor problem

Check your float level, it is propably to high. Try a different needle, and seat. That engine should not flood over in the tilt position. That could cause a real fire hazard.