Carburator question

victorc1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1996 3.0 LX Mercruiser Alpha One Gen II. I removed the carburator, took it apart and cleaned all of the rust and gook that was inside it. I put it back on and when I started the motor it started like new and then shut off and wouldn't start again. I took the carburator cover and the flame arrester off and when I went to start it the carburator shot gasoline up out of the carburator. Can someone help me please?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: Carburator question

The float is probably stuck open.
Did you replace the needle and seat along with new gaskets?

buddybarnhill

Seaman Apprentice

i guarantee u when you were cleaning the carburator you may have accidently messed up some of its settings

chrclo

Seaman Apprentice

Float is stuck open or it is improperly adjusted. Pretty easy fix, the carb kit should have instructions.

victorc1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

All I did was take it apart and clean it, guess I'll go look for the kit.

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You really need to do a complete rebuild if your gonna mess with the carb at all. You need the proper kit, a bucket of solvent to soak it in, and compressed air to blow out all the passages. Doing it half way just won't work..

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

If you just cleaned it when you dismantled it you just wasted your time if it's a mercarb (1 AIR IDLE MIXTURE SCREW) aftermarketmarine.com 35.95 + s/h it's a universal kit that fis all 6 mercarb 2 barrels. Be organized and clean everytihng w/soapy water and blow it out w/ compressed air before and after soaking in carb cleaner Berrymans 19.95 @ Auto zone follow the instructions in the kit to a T and save your old parts and gaskets for comparison and it'll turn out great. Good luck!!

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

Get the part number and order it online.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Get the part number and order it online.

Make your own choice spend the extra 50.00 or save it the mercarb kit I mentioned it's part # is imckmcu. I used it on my rig and have had no issues.