carbs on 72 chrysler 70hp

jayprice7

Cadet
carbs on 72 chrysler 70hp

I posted a thread about my probs of the motor failing at high speeds, and got several responses to rebuild the carbs. It's almost the end of the season here and the boat really isn't going to be used until next spring. Would it be better to replace the carbs just before taking it out next season, or should I do it now before winter? Will waiting to rebuild them create any further probs? I am just concerned that if i rebuild them now, that they'll be F'd up again next spring as the winters here can be pretty harsh. I've read about what to do to winterize the motor, but I'm not sure how effective this really is at protecting it from the cold. Also, does anyone know which boat cover materials tend to handle big heavy snow the best? I'm going to buy one before winter and just want to know which material to choose.

timfromfc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: carbs on 72 chrysler 70hp

If you aren't going to use it until spring, I'd wait until then. Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow! ;)

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

If motor will run I would still winterize it this fall. Run all the gas out while spraying fogging oil in the carbs till it dies. Look in iboats forum Frequently asked questions about winterizing. I just use a cheap vinyl tarp and built some frames for my boat with 2x4s then tied it down. Make sure you pull the plug on the boat.