Carboreter Help.....

BornBlue82

Seaman
Ok so being new to the boating world, I decided to go through my engine yesterday. Just to get familiar with everything. I noticed that the spark arrester was all caked up, so I decided to clean. When the carburetor was rigged up and I thought that's the way it was supposed to be, until I got a closer look. I have a metal band that goes across the top plate that is zip tied on each side. Once I removed the cover I soon found out why. The bolt that holds the flame arrester and cover doesn't connect to the carb, the piece is no longer there. which is why the metal strap is holding everything in place. Also there is wire loom instead of hose going to the flame arrester, is this normal or do I need to replace that with rubber hose? The carburetor part number is SAE J1223, is there a way to just get parts for that? Is there a place that has used ones? What is my best option? I've posted pictures below to show the problems. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
P.S. The boat runs great with no problems, this was just a find during exploration.

IMG_20130607_150144_640.jpg

IMG_20130607_145432_499.jpg

IMG_20130607_145426_804.jpg

IMG_20130607_145444_595.jpg

IMG_20130607_145421_307.jpg

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Carboreter Help.....

Looks like someone overtightened the centre screw and broke the bracket. As for the corry tubes on the sides, yep, that's normal....

Unfortunately the broken bracket is part of the carb top cover, and not so separately from the complete carb.

You also have single piece 'batwing' exhaust manifolds.. You need to replace them with 2 piece as soon as possible. They WILL end up killing the engine otherwise...

Chris.........

BornBlue82

Seaman

Looks like someone overtightened the centre screw and broke the bracket. As for the corry tubes on the sides, yep, that's normal....

Unfortunately the broken bracket is part of the carb top cover, and not so separately from the complete carb.

You also have single piece 'batwing' exhaust manifolds.. You need to replace them with 2 piece as soon as possible. They WILL end up killing the engine otherwise...

Chris.........

Yeah, I was thinking that it was broken due to over tightening. Not too sure what you mean by the 'batwing'. Also the metal strap going over the top, is the supposed to go under the cover? Thanks for the advice.

achris

Batwings are the name given to the style of exhaust manifold you have. They are bad news. Get rid of them, convert to the 2 piece.

Yes, the metal strap goes over the top of the carb cover.

BornBlue82

Seaman

Batwings are the name given to the style of exhaust manifold you have. They are bad news. Get rid of them, convert to the 2 piece.

Thanks for the info Achris, can you post a pic of the piece manifold? Also can you tell why I have oil at the bottom of the Corry tubes, where they connect? Do I need to replace the seal?

achris

Have a look at this site...

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selectDocs.asp?doc_nbr=809969+98

Links 16 and 17 on the list are 'Exhaust manifold (1 piece)' and 'Exhaust manifold (2 piece)'... That will show you the difference.

A little oil in the corry tubes is normal. They are crankcase vents and the blow-by from the pistons is 'recirculated' to the carb intake....

Chris.....

BornBlue82

Seaman

BornBlue82

Seaman

So looking at my first picture, is this how the corry tube is supposed to be connected?