carb tuning

dude33333

Seaman Apprentice
i have a 75' johnson 50hp that i just disasembled cleaned and reasembled the carb on, i would like to tune it better. i did a search and and see that the adjustment is only for slow speeds and idle? is there a way to adjust WOT mix? and will somone explain how to adjust the slow one? i asumed it was like my old go ped and turned it clockwise increasing the rpm until it bogged out then brought it back a 1/4 turn. i did this one carb at a time(unplugging one cylinder)<br />thanx in advance<br />~erk

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: carb tuning

ERK.....the high speed jet is fixed. No adjustment to do.<br /><br />Basically to do the low end, GENTLY seat each low speed needle and back out 1 1/4 turn. Put the engine in the water and run till it warms up to operating temp. Put the engine in gear and blow it out some and come back to idle. Running the needle in is lean, running it out is rich. Turn the needles 1/8 turn at a time allowing for engine reaction for the adjustment. Set for best idle speed. Don't get the settings to lean. Once you have them set, back the needles out a tad to prevent to lean operation. It don't hurt to blow the engine out a few times during the adjustments. Keeps it from loading up.<br /><br />Keep us posted.