Carb to engine gasket on backwards... Deliberate or not?

Crapduster

Seaman Apprentice
When I pulled the carbs off to rebuild them, I noticed the carb to motor gasket on two of the three carbs was upside-down/backwards/reversed... whatever you want to call it; it's a fitted gasket and there is only one obvious way it fits correctly. The guy who had the boat before me said it was serviced by a small boat/engine repair shop. With the gasket backwards, it covers about 1/3 of the carb air passage into the engine. This has to be deliberate, right? It was blatantly obvious to me the second I took the carbs off, and I cannot imagine even the most amateurish of mechanics getting a fitted gasket on backwards. So the real question I have, is how much! of a problem would this cause? Read the rest of the story below for some more history of what has been done so far. Any advice is much appreciated.

I bought a 2000 16' Aquasport Osprey in Nov 2007 and the boat came with an 1986 Suzuki DT85 (DT-85). It has been pretty hard to start, and once you clunk it in gear it usually dies and you have to choke it and crank it to get it started. After about 2 or 3 rounds of this, it will start and idle at 700rpm; sometimes it feels real smooth, other times it's rough like it's not firing on all. It typically takes 3 or 4 of this pattern to get it moving: start, clunk into gear, die, start, clunk into gear... you get the picture. I usually have to clunk it into gear and then hammer on it... if i'm lucky she will pop right up to WOT and run like a top, but usually she bogs and I have to come off throttle... sometimes I can get right back into it and she comes to life... other times she just dies. I think she's ascared of the water. :confused:

Plugs, compression, air/fuel leak and spark are most likely not the problem because the plugs have been replaced (NGK B8HS), the compression tested, every single fuel line from carbs to the tank was replaced and the electrical tested at a Suzuki repair shop. As a new boat owner I found out why more people don't own boats; $95/hr labor :eek: You know it's not a good sign when the service manager asks you if you know what "boat" stands for... then proceeds to chuckle as he says "break out another thousand" ...some more laughing, but not from me :( A few weeks later I carefully rebuilt the fuel pump with a new Suzuki spring and diaphragm kit. Fuel filters and fuel/water separator have been replaced. Still has the same problems after all this. :mad:

Today I am rebuilding the carbs (Suzuki carb rebuild kits), I already have them apart and they looked pretty clean to me, but I am taking the extra steps of soaking them in Berrymans and using compressed air, setting float heights, scraping old gasket... the long, slow, correct way of rebuilding I hope. When I get all this put back together I am hoping this will be the end of the unreliable motor; I am tired of getting back to dock on my trolling motor :D

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks and I will report back in a day or two once I have the rebuild done and have had time to test on the water.

Thanks and tight lines,

CrappieDuster

Crapduster

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Carb to engine gasket on backwards... Deliberate or not?

Ok, carbs are squeaky clean, rebuilt and back on the motor; took my time and did it right. Gaskets are on correctly. Fresh tank of fuel at precisely 50:1 and correct amount of stabil fuel stabilizer. Checked every electrical connection I could find for corrosion and fit; all are fine. Choke closes all carbs completely and at the same time. Butterflies open and close completely and at the same time. Going to the lake tomorrow to test, taking toolbox, fishing rod and some minners... if she runs good and problems are solved I fish, otherwise that's what the toolbox is for.

I did notice one thing while I was working on thing today, and that is the timing advance arm/lever/?? doesn't seem to return all the way ...I can push it forward by hand and it comes back ok, but when it stops, it can still be moved back another 1/3 to 1/4 of an inch by hand. The stop screw or whatever it is, (idle adj/timing adv??) is not what is stopping it from going back as far as it can, it just doesn't seem to return all the way to where it could go ...almost like a weak spring type situation. Do I just need to take the top part off (the round black cover on top of the motor) and grease the linkage... it seems to be a mechanical part. I have not had a chance to check and adjust the idle to 700-750 at idle under load, I am guessing the stop screw adjustment adjusts timing and idle? Any help on this before tomorrow around 10-11am CST would be helpful; I would like to make those adjustments while I have it on the water tomorrow

I admit that I don't have a manual and I have not tried adjusting linkage or messing with the timing since I don't have the factory specs or instructions on how to do it. I don't have the $$ for a manual right now, so if anyone out there wants to share how to set the linkage/timing/idle for a 1986 Suzuki dt85, it sure would be appreciated.

Thanks,

CrappieDuster

JUSTINTIME

Captain

shoot me an email for a manual
you need to sync and link

Crapduster

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks JUSTINTIME,

Wish I had waited on ordering that $67 manual from brownspoint. I guess I am not completely broke, I just didn't want to use the credit card to get it, but I drank some beer last night and about 2am I had $250 worth of Zuki parts/manual in my shopping cart at brownspoint that I checked out with.

Motor ran really good today after the carb rebuild and after playing with the air idle some while on the water. Still seems to run just a little rough in gear at idle and I am hoping that setting everything as the Zuki manual says will smooth all that out. Other than that the motor was 8.5-9 out of 10 all day today. Can finally think about fishing and not if I am going to make it back to the dock. Can also power my boat onto my trailer now instead of pulling it with a rope and then winching it the rest of the way. :D

Thanks again!

CrappieDuster