Carb rebulid-Core plug question

Ok 1980 70 horse Rude that runs great at high end but dosent want to idle anything less than 1100 RPM and floods out the carbs Decided to rebuild all 3 carbs so got the kits here and have pulled carbs off Getting ready to soak them overnite but was wondering on whether or not I need to pull core plugs when I soak them There are new plugs in the carb kits but checked my service manual and it says to remove if neccasary Kinda uncomfortable with the thought of prying them out if not needed as I am kind of new at all this So do I really need to pull them or not? They arent leaking and have read here no real need if not leaking Wondering what the popular consensus was Thanks in advance for your time!

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Carb rebulid-Core plug question

did alot of carbs and only when loose did i change them,i know others suggest changing,but,i never had a problem from not changing them as long as i cleaned the carb well,soaking and compressed air,i usually use hot soapy water after the solution,then garden hose rinse then air,i also use spray carb cleaner into all holes and passages,overkill ,maybe,but no repeats here

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

If the carb's really dirty then do it for sure. Downside to not doing it is doing it all over again if it doesn't run right when you're done.

I usually pass on it myself.

But there's no need to be bashful about popping 'em out.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

If the carb's really dirty then do it for sure. Downside to not doing it is doing it all over again if it doesn't run right when you're done.

I usually pass on it myself.

But there's no need to be bashful about popping 'em out.

The idle ports are under those plugs, a good reason to take a look, since you are having idle problems. However, having said that, they don't usually get dirty. It's your call. Um, you said it floods out---do you mean that literally? Plugged idle ports wouldn't cause flooding, they would cause a lean condition.

tedious

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just did my the carbs on my 70. The core plugs are no big deal, and the holes underneath directly control fuel distribution at idle. If you're having idle problems, it's definitely worth doing.

To get them off, drill a 1/16" hole right in the middle, don't go in more than 1/4". Then stick an awl in the hole and they'll pop right out. On reinstallation, seal the edges with OMC Gasoila.

Tim

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

is it possible your flooding out due to a fuelpump diaphram gone bad and allowing fuel to enter the engine thru the pulse .you can remmove the pump with all hoses hooked up ,except the rear one that goes into the engine for the pulse,if you squeeze the ball and fuel flows out the pulse port ,your diaphram blew

Marvxyz2

Seaman Apprentice

Could be flooding by sticking float or needle valve.

I have thought about the possibilty of it being the diaphram Does anyone know if anyone sells replacement or do I have to replace the whole fuel pump which is what it says in the service manual

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

im 99.9 you can get a rebuild kit,look at the iboat store,they sell pumps and parts reasonable too,free advice,give the business when u can.i took a look on IBOATS,I cannot find your eng listed ,however,I do see the part number for the pump assy.on the BRP website,,385784. You might want to call IBOAT and see if they can help you out.I find it hard to believe they dont have a rebuild kit for your yr.I would also find it hard to believe that your eng is unique with a pump for its own yr.You might also try a new topic on fuel pump for your eng.there are some dealers and certified mechanics here that might answer better than I can

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

On that pump, if the diaphram gets perforated gas will dribble out that little hole on the back of the housing.

It's far more likely to be flooding due to float valves not closing off completely. when you get the bowl put back on, blow through the fuel inlet...held upside down, no air should pass; right side up should be very little resistance.

Finish the carbs & do a test run, bet it'll be fine.

It's true the manual says it's a nonserviceable pump, but sierra rebuild kit part number 18-7820 will fit it just fine, I installed one nearly six years ago, no problems. Same pump, 1979 vintage.