carb problem?

trackerdave

Seaman Apprentice
79'Johnson 55hp not running at full capacity:<br />This engine (for party barge) had not been run for two years when I started working with it. I can get it to start and to idle (fairly well). It runs well in reverse and revs up nicely when warm up lever is engaged. It will run forward but when the throttle is fully engaged the engine is only running at about 1/4 of previous full speed. When I back off of the throttle a hair it increases speed a little bit but still only running at about 1/3 of full. I've tweaked with the throttle cable, replaced fuel and line, with no luck. Carb problem? any advice is appreciated.<br /><br />thanks.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
Re: carb problem?

If it's been sitting for 2 years there's a really good chance that there is some varnish build up in that carb clogging it up so you can't get full throttle out of it. I would pull it and put a rebuild kit in it. Wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the water pump in it also.

trackerdave

Seaman Apprentice

thanks, that's kind of where I'm leaning but was hoping (i.e. being lazy)that there was maybe a quick fix for the weekend. So if a carb problem would spray in carb cleaner help loosen the varnish?

CATransplant

Admiral

Could happen, but unlikely. You probably have some crud in the high speed jet(s). Sometimes that will respond to the spray, but not usually. <br /><br />For best results pull it, soak it, blow it out, and put in the kit. That should clear things up for you.

trackerdave

Seaman Apprentice

thanks, CA and Cricket! I'll update with my progress. Enjoy the 4th.

Navgunner

Seaman Apprentice

Hey tracker.....its not to late for you to enjoy the weekend on the lake either! I had zero outboard maintenance experience and rebuilt both my carbs in about an hour and a half (that includes my slooooow reading of the manual) so git er done and have some fun this weekend!