carb problem motor won't idle

osly007

Cadet
i have been on this site as "frozen in miami" and have gotten a lot of help thanks <br />my 1985 60 hp johnson won't idle or rev when i hit the throttle i have cleaned the carbs twice i started to move the red knob on the primer/solenoid from the on "inline position"to the off and now the motor idles and rev's up the manual say's the the primer/solenoid is for the vro which i have disconnectd and i am not using when i turn the red knob back to the on position the motor dies what do i need to do next?the primer/solenoid has 3 hoses one is a feed from fuel pump and 2 smaller hoses that go to the top of the carbs and it has a purple/white wire

almost retired again

Chief Petty Officer
Re: carb problem motor won't idle

Hi Osly,<br />I think that you have the on and off positions mixed up. The red knob on the primmer should be straight in line with the solenoid to be off,if it's in any other position it will squirt gas straight into the engine via the nipple thats at the rear of the carbs. When this happens it will flood the engine and cause it to die.<br />Let us know how it works out

petryshyn

Commander

osly<br /><br />The primer is not part of the VRO and is very necessary for ease of starting. This device allows starting enrichment when you push in the key. As "ARA" explained, the lever should be inline with the solenoid body...<br /> :)

osly007

Cadet

thanks guys i took the primer off and cleaned it but it looked good to begin with I'll put it back on and keep you informed