mikey.himself

Petty Officer 2nd Class
what's the price tag on:

carb rebuild (professional job) --ballpark figure--
Reman carb --Ballpark--

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer
Re: carb overhaul/replace

Not enough details, none actually, to give any kind of answer. What engine? What year? What kind of carb? How many barrels? Buying a rebuilt or having a local mechanic rebuild yours? US dollars or Canadian? Why do you think your carb needs to be rebuilt? Hy

Seon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I bought a professionally rebuilt Rochester 4 bbl carb via ebay for $125 delivered. Buying a built locally would have cost over $350. To have it rebuilt would have been closed to the same cost. BTW the one I removed was shot.

chiefalen

Captain

could get a new one down here for 200 american dollars.2 barrel.+nj tax.

mikey.himself

Petty Officer 2nd Class

very sorry i completely forgot the details, its a 1988 mercruiser 5.7 thunderbolt II, 2 barrel.

mikey.himself

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the reason i think the carb is gone is because when you accelerate the engine is hesitating like mad unless throttle is raised slowely, doesn't seem to be getting a nice steady amount of fuel, i guess i should check the fuel pump before i go ahead and blow 300 bucks.

Maclin

Admiral

If it cruises ok at 3000+ rpms then it is probably not the fuel pump. You may be thinking of the term "accelerator pump" This is just part of the carb, so a rebuild of yours or a remanned replacement would fix the hesitation. Probably.

mikey.himself

Petty Officer 2nd Class

it does reach 4,600 rpm. and can maintain 3,000rpm occassionaly wondering up and down. Can a faulty accelerator pump cause a backfire while its under moderate load? Backfire is the major symptom i'm having. it seems like its running lean. When it reaches approx. 3,000 rpm it will backfire inconsistantly every 30+ seconds. It does it exclusively under load.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

double check your base and advance timing before you go touching the carb

Maclin

Admiral

Mikey,

The accelerator pump will not affect cruising at a constant rpm. It only squirts gas in, and only up to a certain amount, as the throttle is moved forward.

Carbs can be blamed for lots of things that could be ignition problems as captjason is eluding to. If you have backfiring during cruising it could be lots of things, best to check and verify condition of all electrical tuning items first.

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer

intake leak maybe?? cam lobe wearing out??