carb kit

Max_Door

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, I am trying to install a carb kit in a 15 hp 1956 Johnson. I see that there is a threaded spacer of some soft material down in the hole that is for the low speed idle adjustment (I think). I don't see anything quite like that spacer in my oem carb kit, and unfortunately it looks like mine is messed up. Am I missing something?<br /><br />Thanks

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: carb kit

Memory fails me on that model but on many models, the threaded portion is a seperate aluminum barrel that the slow speed needle valve threads into. On other models, that threaded portion is actually part of the carburetor.<br /><br />If your carburetor has the barrel type, get the packing out of the way, then screw the needle valve into the barrel about 1/2" and yank it out of there.<br /><br />If the threads are damaged, insert a hook of some kind so that the hook grabs the back of it whereas you can yank it free.

Max_Door

Seaman Apprentice

I think I can get it out ok, but I was afraid to mangle it up anymore until I learned if I had a replacement in the carb kit, or what I should do?<br />none of the parts look quite like that barrel piece. It is made of some asbestos like material.

petrolhead

Chief Petty Officer

That's the packing, you should have several replacement packing washers in the kit, just dig the old ones out with a small screwdriver being careful not to damage the needle seat.

Max_Door

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, I am seeing what you mean, I was looking at the page from a wrong manual, now I see those packing washers.