Carb kit question

jeepinandy58

Cadet
2003 50 ELPTO, serial # 0T681654, new to me. Bought it last January, used it a few times this past summer. Fixing issues now that its cold. I have been advised to rebuild the carbs and treat it with Seafoam, preparing to do that while fixing other things. Part # for the kit I found is 1395-82365 4. Best price I have found is at WholesaleMarine.com ~$54 but I also found the Sierra Marine equivalent for $35 (part # 18-7750-1). Which would you use and why? Is it worth the extra $60 all three carbs or is the Sierra Marine a good product?

Attachments

• Serial.jpg
    Serial.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Smoker.jpg
    Smoker.jpg
    852.2 KB · Views: 2

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There is very little that goes wrong with carburetors.---How is the motor running ?---Did you install a new water pump impeller last January ?-----What trouble shooting have you done if any?

jeepinandy58

Cadet
The troubleshooting done has been on the water pump and wiring. Motor seemed to be running smoothly last time I fired it up, but no water coming out.
I think the carb kit was suggested due to not knowing the history of the motor and is more preventive than performance issues. Tested on muffs and tub. Have not run it on river or lake (only fished on non-outboard lakes so far) last year for a variety of health related reasons. When I ran it on muffs, took about 5 seconds or so for warm water to come out of the weep hole. the last time on muffs, no water-put in tub, no water. removed t-stat to see if water making it there. no water to t-stat. dropped lower unit and verified there are no restrictions from water tube up to the thermostat. Due to age and not knowing history, replaced t-stat. Ordererd water pump kit at the same time, will replace that in the next few days. Looks like previous owner ran into some mud or clay (major crud all on the inside which comes off with water and elbow grease).
Wiring - found 10-12 AWG to trolling motor. Trolling motor is 24v, it was only wired for 12v (multiple splices, various wire colors, bad solder connections). 3 batteries, 2 for trolling motor, lights, fish finders, etc. Only thing using 2 batteries was the lights, fish finders and had a switch to parallel the 2 batteries. The 2 batteries have been wired in series and are connected to the trolling motor (brand new 6 AWG, 60 amp breaker).
Let me know if you need more information.

Attachments

• lower unit 4.jpg
    lower unit 4.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
  • water pump 4.jpg
    water pump 4.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • water pump 1.jpg
    water pump 1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2