Carb kit help needed

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1968 Merc 500. Serial #24xxxxx I was looking at the Sierra and mallory carb kits and they seem to have different parts acording to the pics. Is this true? Which one should I get? Thanks

cannonford57

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Carb kit help needed

which ones are diff. may not make a difference one way or another. some kits have parts for more than 1 carb or series included in dem. jmo!

capslock118

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just go to mercury parts express website. Type your serial number in the finder and mercury will tell you exactly which parts you need, shipped right to your local dealer.

Mi duckdown

Commander

Do you have a GOOD MERC Dealer/repair shop in your area that will work with you?

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I honestly have not checked into that. I do have a local shop here that does work, don't know if they are brand specific, and I was going to give them first shot. I was just researching it on here and found the discrepancy in the photos and was just wondering if it was something that someone had experience with.

capslock118

Petty Officer 1st Class

In the short time that I have been maintaining my engine myself as opposed to sending it to a mechanic, I have exclusively used the mercury parts express website.

That site provides you, for your specific serial number, all of the different assemly diagrams for your engine i.e. lower unit assembly, fuel line assembly, carb assembly, reed assembly, power head assembly, crankshaft assembly, transom bracket assembly etc etc etc. For each diagram they number and list every single part, their part number, and how much it would cost to buy mercury genuine parts.

So, IMO, for the most accurate diagrams and parts, without worry that you are looking at the wrong parts, reference the assembly diagrams that the mercury parts website provides. Alternatively, you can order the parts and service manuals from mercury for your particular engine.