carb jetting help

1maniac

Recruit
I have, I think, a 1985 Mercury 50 horsepower, 4 cylinder outboard (serial # 6590507). I am trying to locate part numbers for carb jets to be used at 6200 feet. If anyone can provide my with info, I will be most grateful.......thanks:D

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: carb jetting help

First thing you need to do is figure out if it has the Tilotson or the Walbro carbs. The jetting choices are pretty thin so there may be another method in the owners manual or shop manual. I think you'd have to be looking at the Merc manuals to get the right info.

There's always the old standby of dropping 2" of pitch on the prop and running reqular gas. However, judging from you location I suspect you're looking for a more permanent fix.

If the Jets are standard style jets, it will open up your opportunities. I've often found jets that were obsolete (NLA) on one engine and not on another but they were the same exact jet. Go figure? You'd need to find out what jets you have first then maybe order one from another motor and compare them.

The Walbro carbs typically have a WM** something stamped on them. Not sure what's on the Tilotson's.