Carb Jet size

JGKoenig

Seaman
Just wondering what size main jet size I should get for my carbs. I plan on rebuildinging them. It is a 1983 Chrysler 140 with Tiliston carbs.

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Carb Jet size

Chryslers are of a world before this.<br /><br />Be careful to make a good estimate of all needed parts & costs before even loosening the first screw.<br /><br />It is critical to spend $$'s on a motor that is worth only a little. I'd think it over once more and even check prices on a newer motor of main brand. A newer around 90-100hp most likely will outperform your 140.<br /><br />Alone the more modern design and 'tech & specs' (performance, fuel consumption) would be an argument.

sony2001

Chief Petty Officer

Don't listen to UU. High performance engines were well developed long before he was in diapers. Verbal diarrhea.....One can pay any price they want for their personal pleasure. :cool:

JGKoenig

Seaman

I rebuilt this thing a few months back and it runs excelent!! I am just missing a few RPMs and thought it may be the carb jet size. The carbs are originaly from a 115 which may have had a smaller jet. I really don't see what the big problme was with Chrysler, they seem simple to work on and this one seems to run great!!

bmurray

Petty Officer 2nd Class

rebuild them. MUCH cheaper than another motor as was stated earlier. Carbs are easy to rebuild. Just take the extra time for cleaning. Search online for the parts, may be cheaper than the local dealer. good luck

Red Rider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Changing jet size is not the solution to your problem. Jet size change is mainly required for different altitudes. For different size (horsepower) outboards it generally is the size of the carb. Jets control the richness/leaness of the fuel air mixture, Carb size controls how much of fuel/air mixture gets into the engine to produce power.