carb issue

scott68

Seaman
i had a problem with power loss and was advised to rebuild carbs. i did this today and back on they went.seemed to run a little smoother and when i took it out it started to run a better than it was prior to rebuild, as if when i started it wanted to take off like it was running prior to the original problem then it lost power again but not as bad as before, if i pushed the primer in it would go a little more but if i sprayed premix into the carbs it would bog down till i did the top carb( 1984 johnson 70) after spraying into top carb it tried to get going, very noticable difference. thia was also the issue before that brought the suggestion to rebuild. i have 95 to 98 psi for compression, good spark and it runs fine at a slower speed. aggrevation is starting to set in and need help. i took the top carb off and took it apart and will be soaking it overnite. thanx, scott

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: carb issue

Have you checked the fuel pump? Sounds like its not capable of delivering enough fuel.

xtraham

Lieutenant

did you remove the welch plugs and blow through all orfices with compressed air, sometimes you will even have to run a wire through them.. good luck

scott68

Seaman

i had thought that may also be an issue but watching the throats it appears that the same amount of fuel is entering the carbs, if that can be used as an indicator. what is the best way to check the pump and is there something to be repaired or is it a replacement? scott

scott68

Seaman

what is a welch plug and if it is the small aluminum caps in and around the carb, yes i did. right now i have the carb apart and soaking overnite. scott

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Have your second mate squeeze the fuel primer bulb when you think it is not running well. If the engine runs well with someone constantly keeping the primer bulb primed, it would be your fuel pump.

scott68

Seaman

did that too with no change in performance and the bulb is solid at all times. is it possible that the carb could be bad? today i am going to get a rebuild kit and take care of the fuel pump. scott