Carb Issue (Too Much Fuel)

After Running In The Lake Today I Think I May Have Found My Problem
I Have A 3.7 Merc 165Hp, Idles Fine And Runs Great When Not Under Load
After You Load The Engine It Seem To Be Loading Up On Fuel And Getting Way To Rich

Once I Got The Boat Home We Took Out THe Manual And Removed The Carb
The Manual Show There Should Be A Spring With The Valve That The Float Controls... On My Carb Is Only A Small Brass Piece Which Is Pushed By THe Float...

Just Wonder If This May Be My Flooding Issue? I Don't Know Very Much About These Carbs And Any Ideas Would Help

libellav15

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Carb Issue (Too Much Fuel)

sadly spring loaded float was just an option on certain carbs

however - you might still be in the right area

hold the carb body upand gently lift the float with a finger while the needle sits in its hole - to replicate the fuel pushing it up - and then blow into the fuel inlet hole (just with your mouth - no real pressure needed) - it should be totally blocked by needle - then slightly lower the float with your finger and air should flow - this will confirm your needle and seat are making a seal.

then weigh the float to make sure it is floating and hasn't either leaked throught the soldered join - if its brass - or got logged if its not.

if it is floating as it should - then finally check the float height as per the workshop manual - to make sure that the level of the fuel is causing it to close the needle at the correct time. if its too low it will flood.

having said all that if it was flooding due to the above it would have a constant pool of fuel under the venturi's every time you turn it off

worth a look.

have you tried a full ignition service to cure the power prob. a weak spark under load will feel the same as flooding.

good luck

adam