carb issue please help

curtisimo1981

Seaman Apprentice
i posted this on another site and here is whats going on....

Location: pensacola,fl ok heres the deal, got my foot fixed...Dont want to talk about that though..lol I got my motor runing, well now it seems like its running way to rich, likes to flood out. i noticed gas coming out of the carbs at the butterfly, and spill down the front of them. could this be a float adjustment? Its a 1975 75 hp. johnson stinger. my father in law had the carbs rebuilt about 4 yrs ago along with the whole motor, but never took the boat out. the motor never had fuel put in it b/c he didnt have time to use the boat. So i doubt its gum build up. Is there adjustments on the carbs to correct this problem if so please let me know. thanks any input will be greatly appreciated

Tuna Man
Posted 6/23/2007 1:40 PM (#332420 - in reply to #332416)
Subject: RE: carb problem please help

Grand Slam

Location: Calera. AL 25 S of BHM If fuel is running out of the carbs than a good place to start would be the floats. Just a rich mixture, to me wouldn't let the fuel pour, as you are saying....I stand to be corrected on this one.
-----
Political Correctness:
A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

I'm a Sagittarius...If you don't want to hear the truth then don't ask my opinion!

Century 25' Mirada 350/260HP"ISLAND LADY"
Sandbar's #'s........N 30 06.099 W 087 25.812

Some of my favorite times: http://www.forumpictureprocessor.com/gallery.asp?gallery=786

curtisimo81
Posted 6/23/2007 1:44 PM (#332423 - in reply to #332416)

Ruby Red Lip

Location: pensacola,fl yeah well i cant seem to find any adjustments on the carb to try to adjust it

Tuna Man
Posted 6/23/2007 2:03 PM (#332431 - in reply to #332423)

Grand Slam

Location: Calera. AL 25 S of BHM curtisimo81 - 6/23/2007 1:44 PM

yeah well i cant seem to find any adjustments on the carb to try to adjust it

I believe float adjustment is done from inside the carb bowl.....small tab on the float.

Edited by Tuna Man 6/23/2007 2:03 PM

-----
Political Correctness:
A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

I'm a Sagittarius...If you don't want to hear the truth then don't ask my opinion!

Some of my favorite times: http://www.forumpictureprocessor.com/gallery.asp?gallery=786

curtisimo81
Posted 6/23/2007 2:09 PM (#332436 - in reply to #332416)

Ruby Red Lip

Location: pensacola,fl yeah i just diassebled the carbs. i noticed my very top carb wasnt spraying fuel at all. i also noticed wehre the tab was for the float. there is a square looking pin that the float when pushed up touches is this suposed to be loose, like for sliding up and down b/c mine didnt slide at all, i used a small screw driver and it came down so i'm thinking maybe they need to be cleaned real well?

Tuna Man
Posted 6/23/2007 2:21 PM (#332442 - in reply to #332436)

Grand Slam

Location: Calera. AL 25 S of BHM curtisimo81 - 6/23/2007 2:09 PM

yeah i just diassebled the carbs. i noticed my very top carb wasnt spraying fuel at all. i also noticed wehre the tab was for the float. there is a square looking pin that the float when pushed up touches is this suposed to be loose, like for sliding up and down b/c mine didnt slide at all, i used a small screw driver and it came down so i'm thinking maybe they need to be cleaned real well?

That square thing is the needle which slides up and down in the fuel seat as the float moves up and down. Remove the float by removing the shaft the float pivots on. Get a can of carb cleaner and clean the needle and seat well.

Replace the needle and seats while you have them off. The length of time that they haven't been used could of damaged the material on the end of the needle because the float was exerting pressure on them while in the down position. Inspect the needle end and see if there is a ring indented into the material...if so replace.

Edited by Tuna Man 6/23/2007 2:25 PM

-----
Political Correctness:

curtisimo81
Posted 6/23/2007 3:57 PM (#332467 - in reply to #332416)

Ruby Red Lip

Location: pensacola,fl thanx alot for you help, i replaced needles didnt replace the seats b/c they said they were still good. now my very lowest carb is dumping fuel out of a hole just above the butterflyies, i mean its really pouring out. tried to adjust the float didnt do any good. any more sugestions? oh by the way it stays running now, and the two above the last are working great

outboardsalvage
Posted 6/23/2007 5:04 PM (#332492 - in reply to #332467)

Pin Fish

Buy a gallon can of parts cleaner by gunk new kits and start all over you are out of adjustment on the floats.If you have not done this before take it to someone and let them fix it.

curtisimo81
Posted 6/24/2007 6:44 PM (#332914 - in reply to #332416)
Subject: update: carb problem please help

Ruby Red Lip

Location: pensacola,fl ok took the boat out today after rebuilding the carbs. i got it back together ran great on the ears. Throttle up like it should, sounded nice. Put it in the water about 3hours ago, fired right up...idle for about 30sec. and died. took about 5 mins to get it started again. finally got it running (wouldn't idle) so i figured hey it hasnt been ran in a while maybe it just needs to be ran. left the doc, it would run alright about 10% throttle. got to where i could open her up and nothing... it bogged down so bad it died. started her up agin and i could run about 50% taking awhile to get where it would rev up, and plane out but once she did she ran alright about 50%. tried to go faster and would bog down and die. checked the primer bulb it was tight, tried to choke it when i opened it up and she'd still die. any input on this? I'm confused. kinda seems like shes running rich,.....

iwombat

Captain
Re: carb issue please help

Float valve is not closing.

Possible:
Float misadjustment
bad seat
bad needle
bad float.