Carb issue or something else?

JaseBosto

Petty Officer 1st Class
1990 Larson Hampton sport cruiser, 22' volvo penta 501.

So, I was out yesterday and I had a issue. When I would attempt to give any throttle in gear, the motor would aparently flood out. It would stall and then be a real pain to re-start.
Prior to that event, she was difficult to start for the first time that day, then while running you would have to ease into the throttle. Ham fisting it would cause the motor to stall out.
Now I couldnt even get on plane. Anything over idle and it would bog out and stall. It took so much cranking after that, that it nearly killed the batteries. It got so bad that it wouldnt even stay running at all, and I almost had to get towed in. I barely made it to the dock.
New fuel filter and water separator. I have not checked any filter in the gas tank. New plugs, wires cap and rotor. The gas is not old.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Carb issue or something else?

Do you have good bright blue/white spark coming from the coil wire?

Does gas squirt out of the accelerator pump holes in the carb?

Have you checked the water separating fuel filter for water?

JaseBosto

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do you have good bright blue/white spark coming from the coil wire?

Does gas squirt out of the accelerator pump holes in the carb?

Have you checked the water separating fuel filter for water?

Good spark, yes. New water separating fuel filter within 15 operating hours. Gas appeared to be squirting out but it wasnt a fine mist and not consistant.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It wouldn't be a fine mist from the accelerator pump (engine not running) just a couple of good streams of gas.

If they aren't consistent, you may be in need of a carb overhaul and new accelerator pump.

JaseBosto

Petty Officer 1st Class

I took the carb off. Its getting rebuilt. I will take a peek into the gas tank and see whats up in there during the down time.