Carb for a 40 hp Force

sweezy722

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I posted a few weeks ago that I had problems with the seat on my carb (1999 40hp) and it was pressed in. I took a carb for an older model with the same seat by cutting it out with a hacksaw. I pressed it in my carb and I think I am going to be better off.

On a different note this week I purchased on ebay a carb for a 1996 40. It looks the same but has and intermediate jet where the 1999 model does not or is not accessible.

Help me with 2 questions.
1. Is the 1996 carb with the intermediate jet a better set up?
2. What should the idle tube look like when set correctly. On these 2 carbs they are no where close to the same.

The top picture is both carbs side by side. The left is the 1996 mosel with the intermediate jet. All jets are the proper size in both carbs. On the 1996 carb on the left you can see where the intermediat jet is close to the top of the throat.
Both Carbs.jpg

This picture is my 1999 carb that I just installed the seat in. The idle tube sits touching the side of the nozzle closest to the block and recessed about 1/8 th inch.
1999 carb.jpg

This is the 1996 carb I just got through cleaning up. I was surprised at how well the motor idled with this carb for just a few minutes but it has not been run on water yet. The idle tube does not touch the nozzle although it sits closed the the wall closet to the block. This idle tube also does not sit recessed in the nozzle - it sits flush with the bottom of the nozzle.
1996 Carb.jpg

If the 1996 carb is a better set up and idle better for trolling then I want to try it - but I definitely do not want to do anything to hurt my motor.
1. Is the 1996 carb with the intermediate jet a better set up?
2. What should the idle tube look like when set correctly. On these 2 carbs they are no where close to the same.

Thanks guys and Happy New Year.

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Carb for a 40 hp Force

The idle tube makes no difference where it sets.I think they install them touching so they won't work them selfs loose.Hook it up and if the linkage matches up go for it.J

sweezy722

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Carb for a 40 hp Force

Thanks,

I will give some feed back after I try the 1996 carb on water. I did run the 1999 carb after installing the pressed in needle yesterday and it helped it.