Carb. flooding

marmon77

Cadet
I have a 1984 Johnson 150 GT with the VRO disabled. My question is can the metal on the carb float become fatiged so that it doesn't remain where it should? Because while running it on the water hose I noticed fuel dripping out from the bottom of the carbs. It was coming from the middle one, I took it off and checked to see if anything was clogged. I looked at the float and it seemed too far down so I adjusted it put it back together and no more dripping. Then about a week later, after about 4-5 outings I had to repeat the same process as above. It's been about a week and so far no fuel leak but I'm keeping a close look to make sure. Thanks for the insight.

mikeyzx2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Carb. flooding

don't see how, the only way it would fatigue would be to bend it back and forth numerous times. there's no heat issue. it pivots on the little pin anyways, and there's no physical forces acting on the float other than gas. are you sure it's not the needle and seat, or the float foam itself?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Next time it does this, pull the carb cover off and dry every up with a shop rag and then start the engine with the carb cover off. See if you can pin point where the fuel is coming from. Maybe all you need to do is replace the bowl gasket. <br /><br />I'm having a brain cramp right now....your bowls aren't plastic are they? I don't think they should be......not that early a year.

mulv80

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Could it be a worn needle and seat getting stuck

surlyjoe

Chief Petty Officer

did you notice if the float tab was still bent from your fist attempt? there is really no pressure on the hinge, could you have bent it taking the top off somehow?

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

I had a similar issue on my '76 115. I'd hit a wake or something and it would stall right out, or else it wouldn't start after being trailered. Took the cover off of the carbs and noticed the bottom one flooding all over while cranking, figured the float was stuck so I went to tap on the side and noticed it has been getting tapped for a while. Brought it back to the shop I bought it from and they rebuilt the carbs, would have done it myself, but it should have been done before I bought it, the shop couldn't argue with the tap marks. Anybody know what causes the float to stick, keeping the needle open?

surlyjoe

Chief Petty Officer

YA! the stupid float clip that is suposed to help pull it open after its say too long. I just rebuilt mine and the new float had the clip so I figured what the hell...<br /><br />I was running on the muffs, hadn't even hit the water when the dang thing stuck. Pulled the clip and all is happy now. runs like new

marmon77

Cadet

OBJ, I pulled the air intake off and I could see the gas coming out of the over-flow. Scrumbler, no I couldn't have bent it taking it off. Mulv80, I guess it could have but after I adjusted it the gas flow stopped. I'm going to take it out this Saturday and run it and check it afterwards to see if it's leaking again. I had the carbs rebulit about 5 months ago maybe it's been leaking since then and I just now noticed? Thanks guys!

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

MA...when the carbs were rebuilt, did they use OEM kits or generic. OEM kits come with new floats, generics don't. If you have fuel coming out the over flow, either the float is bad or mis-adjusted. The needle or seat could be bad also.<br /><br />The float should be set level with the float bowl gasket surface. Flip the carb body over to check and the needle should be in place also. Are you sure that little spring clip that hooks onto the needle and float arm are in place?

surlyjoe

Chief Petty Officer

after years of rebuilding carbs for pretty much everyy type of motor, I have decided thet that needle/float clip is useless and the cause of half the flaot/needle problems I have seen. after this last episode, I will no longer even think of using one again

Alws55

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm rebuilding a '61 johnson 75....when I separated the upper & lower 1/2 of the carb & flipped it over to check where the float was, the opposite end was 1/3 the gap from the hinge side. From what I read it should be parallel correct?<br />I've never run this motor, it looks like an original cork float. Should it be replaced? It looks like the pin in the hinge is a non-metal part, does this come with the kit also. Can this pin be worn also. thanks for any replies..<br /><br />Frank