carb cleaning

johnntab

Seaman Apprentice
i read a post that said something about fouling a carb jet due to no stabilizer in the fuel while in storage. I am a new owner of a jet ski and due to last minute preparation for winter, i didnt add any fuel stabilizer. Is there anything i can do to help this situation when i start her up for spring? Thanks for all your help

D

DJ

Re: carb cleaning

bass man,<br /><br />It's carb. night tonight! If you haven't started it yet-no problem. Just get the old gas out of the tank and refill with fresh before you crank it.<br /><br />We'll just have to hope that any left in the carb.s didn't cause any trouble. You MAY have drains on the float bowls of the carbs. If so, try draining them when you drain the fuel tank.

johnntab

Seaman Apprentice

thanks djohns, if there are drains on the float bowls what would they look like? I have no experience with jet skis, so i am relying on the experience of iboats. My friend and i rebuilt an engine with your help and a manual so i have complete faith. Thanks so much for your help

troyo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the drain plug would look just like a round, slotted screw, on th side of the carb bowl. A product I have had luck with is Amsoil Power Foam. After you change out to fresh fuel, spray the power foam in the carb throat and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes; then start her up, let it run for a bit, with an occasional bump on the throttle to rev it up. Works great if carbs are not too gummed up.

D

DJ

bass man,<br /><br />Troyo pretty much described what they would look like. They would be on the very bottom of the bowl usually on the side.<br /><br />A dealer should be able to tell you or show you where they are. Might be worth while to stop into a dealer and ask.