Carb Cleaning??

spocter72

Cadet
Anyone know whats the best chemical to soak the carbs in to get all the varnish out and clean it up? Thanx in advance

mthieme

Captain
Re: Carb Cleaning??

Auto supply stores sell special vats (about 2 gal.) of carb cleaners to soak the parts in. Most people would not pay the price especially for one carb.
The alternative is spray cans. I use Gumout.
Another alternative is to take your parts in a metal basket (dollar store steel steamer or colander wiill work) to the a garage and ask if they will soak them.

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The spray carb cleaner stuff is not very effective for really gunked up carbs. The small passageways may not get sufficiently clean. It is better to "soak" the carb parts in a carb soaking cleaner. See the attached pic as an example of a carb soaking cleaner. You can use the spray carb cleaner stuff after soaking the carb parts to rinse and blow out the passageways before reassembling the carbs. Just my opinion...

Attachments

• Carb Cleaner Gallon Can.jpg
    Carb Cleaner Gallon Can.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 0

dennyb123

Cadet

I soaked mine in varsol over night. Then blew it dry with compressed air. Everything seemed to come clean.

James R

Commander

Please do not use the spray type cleaner. That will destroy any plastic or rubber parts. Gunk carb and parts cleaner is the only one to use. It is the only one I have found that will disolve the shelac residue from todays fuel. I am sure there are others but I have been successful with this one. It will not harm plastics but will eat on rubber and gaskets. It is about $10 from Advance Auto. Follow the instructions.
My recent visit to the manufacturer was very enlightening.

Wcsweb

Seaman

The spray carb cleaner stuff is not very effective for really gunked up carbs. The small passageways may not get sufficiently clean. It is better to "soak" the carb parts in a carb soaking cleaner. See the attached pic as an example of a carb soaking cleaner. You can use the spray carb cleaner stuff after soaking the carb parts to rinse and blow out the passageways before reassembling the carbs. Just my opinion...

Hey Hkeiner,

Where can you pick up that gallon carb cleaner set up?