Carb Cleaning

Bill Mattor

Seaman Apprentice
Cleaning the float bowl on a 1960 40 sea horse, I notice on the float assembly what appears to be a weight of some kind. Shaped like a plumb bob.<br />Question, is this the shut of needle just hanging or is an actual float? I don't see a shut of type needle with the float assembly.<br />Any help would be welcomed.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Carb Cleaning

the plumb bob shaped the is the needle that regulates the flow of gas into the bowl. it should be place in the hole to the hinged side of the float. the float should be hinged so it can rise and fall and controll the flow of gas.

Bill Mattor

Seaman Apprentice

tashasdaddy, <br />there is no hole on the hinge to facilitate what you suggest. There is a short brass arm close to regulator hole. The needle is attached with a clip type wire and does not reach that area. I'm flabergasted! The manual shows just what you are suggesting. Could I have a broken hinge? Or looking at the wrong carb diagram? I'm looking at a model C which is what I think I have.<br /><br />Thanks

surlyjoe

Chief Petty Officer

are you sure its no an extra needle stored in the bowl?

Bill Mattor

Seaman Apprentice

Never thought of that Scrumbler. Very interesting. Will get a better eye ball to see if there is a needle that might have fallen out during the removal.<br /><br />Thanks.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

There is a brass, or nylon pin that hold's the float in place, and act's as a pivot, did you remove this pin? The float needle drops into a screwed in brass seat located directly under the float arm at the pivot point. When you say regulator hole, are you talking about the center fuel nozzle?