carb adj 1997 50 hp

LARRYHUB

Seaman Apprentice
I have adj screw at 2 1/2 turns out how far can i lean out ? smokes a lot.

Jiggz

Captain
Well, let's make sure we are talking the same screw, i.e. the idle air adjustment screw. Technically, according to the manual the lowest setting should never be less than 1 turn out from lightly seated. Normally, for most people that is, the setting is between 1 turn out to 1 1/4 turn out. Others stay at 1.5 turn out just to make sure the engine doesn't lean too far out that can cause detonation and piston damage. I have mine at 1 1/8.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Like Jiggz says about 1 1/8 to 1 1/2??
If your having trouble test for air leaks on the intake side, Starting fluid test:
start motor and then spray SF around the intake side, if it makes a difference in the way it runs then it's sucking air. Fix the gasket.

This needs to be done in the water and in gear.

One customer 1985/6 85hp needed his middle carb set at over 3 turns out???

Smokes a lot: as you tinker with the carb and don't let it run normal the oil residue builds up and burns off smoking out the neighborhood, after a while the residue will burn off and it'll clear itself out.
Yesterday getting hurricane ready I started my 800 watt gen. It hadn't been run in months and months, Smoked like crazy for a short time then cleared up, now very little smoke..

Jiggz

Captain
Like Jiggz says about 1 1/8 to 1 1/2??
If your having trouble test for air leaks on the intake side, Starting fluid test:
start motor and then spray SF around the intake side, if it makes a difference in the way it runs then it's sucking air. Fix the gasket.

This needs to be done in the water and in gear.

One customer 1985/6 85hp needed his middle carb set at over 3 turns out???

Smokes a lot: as you tinker with the carb and don't let it run normal the oil residue builds up and burns off smoking out the neighborhood, after a while the residue will burn off and it'll clear itself out.
Yesterday getting hurricane ready I started my 800 watt gen. It hadn't been run in months and months, Smoked like crazy for a short time then cleared up, now very little smoke..
Stay safe out there Jerry!

777funk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Heres the manual for a 125hp but it will likely be the same for a 50 but one carb instead of two.

The manual says warm up engine and put it in neutral. Adjust the screw out (richer) until engine starts to 4 stroke (sputter). Dial it the opposite direction until it starts to run so lean it misfires. Mark both positions for the screw and center it between the two (not too rich and not too lean).

My take on it is similar to what the manual says but to go just a hair richer so it'll have a little too much oil/gas mix when it's idling. I find that the center is the fastest idle and a little richer slows it down a hair.

You may have to play around a little with the idle speed screw (ecentric black plastic barrel on the throttle lever). Also there is the idle stop screw on the tower. If you mess with that one, you'll have to readjust your throttle cables. Better off not messing with that in my opinion. Easier to adjust the one on the throttle.

I get the idle in the ballpark, adjust the idle fuel mix screw, then readjust the idle. It shouldn't kill at idle or when put into gear if adjusted right.

High speed cannot be adjusted other than changing the jet which you shouldn't have to do. Watch the color of your plugs. Should be chocolate brown and not fouled or white (burned). All this assumes you have good 2 cycle oil and proper mix.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-09-27_15-17-18.png
    Screenshot_2022-09-27_15-17-18.png
    181.3 KB · Views: 1

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Thanks Jiggz, pretty much a wind event and no real damage here.
The storm entered Fl. far enough north and went at the right direction and it wasn't bad here. Lots of leaves and twigs, the trailer didn't even shake like the last time.
Gods been watching over me, the storms all seem to be just far enough away.

Jiggz

Captain
Thanks Jiggz, pretty much a wind event and no real damage here.
The storm entered Fl. far enough north and went at the right direction and it wasn't bad here. Lots of leaves and twigs, the trailer didn't even shake like the last time.
Gods been watching over me, the storms all seem to be just far enough away.
Glad to hear you're OK. Based on reports, the destruction left by the hurricane is unimaginable leaving millions without power. Hopefully, recovery will be expeditious and smooth.

topgun3690

Ensign
Jerry, it's good to hear that you weathered the storm ok.....I have family in Jacksonville so I was checking the storm reports and radar to see how it was going for them, then I would look down towards Sebastion to see how it looked. Glad you only had some wind to deal with.....(y)