cape cod bay

r j f

Seaman
Anybody catching any macks in the bay yet. I can't wait to go :rolleyes: after them for bait but I live over 70 miles away and with the price of gas I don't want to go down to the cape for nothing.<br /><br />Thanks for any help.<br />rjr

woody20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: cape cod bay

no, went to greenville in RI sunday and didn't catch anything. But really wasn't the point because it was my first time on the new boat.

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

Hi Guys - I'm new to this forum... I was out on the 18th and nobody coming in at the ramp was catching ANYTHING. I ahd a few small Cod. Heading out again tomorrow. Not looking for Macks specifically, but I'll post what I hear from the docks<br /><br />While I'm here, anyone know where the Cod are in Cape Cod Bay right now?<br /><br />Mike

rolmops

Vice Admiral

The cod are about 12 miles north of P town harbour.

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Caught plenty of macs off of Scituate last weekend.

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

I am planning on trying to get out Sunday...either out of Weymouth or Naragansett Bay..anybody going to be out?<br /><br />-JMW

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

I'll be heading out of Green Harbor. Proabably haning around the H buoy or the west side of the bank. <br /><br />Wessagusset will be a zoo.. You sure you want to go there? If you haven't tried Green Harbor give it a shot (i'm gonna regret saying that!). You can launch 3 at a time, each with a dock and you're in open water in less than 5 minutes. I HATE the 30 minute no wake zone in Weymotuh (launched there for years)<br /><br />From where I live the trip is a wash, so it's a no brainer for me.<br /><br />M

JustMrWill

Green Harbor...that in Marshfield? I usually launch out of Weymouth because it is the closest "useable" ramp to the Quincy Yacht Club (where my dive club meets before going out on dives). Is the ramp at Green Harbor open 24/7? I will probably be solo or with my 10 year old daughter so...I want to beat the rush..when do they start getting busy? Also, I am a newbie to salt water fishing...what should I bring for bait (what is in the area now, flounder? stripes? blues?)? Thanks.<br /><br />-JMW<br /><br />ps..what's your boat look like/name so if I see ya I can wave :cool:. I'll be in the Regal (burgandy)..no name as of yet.

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

Green Harbor is indeed in marchfiled. Right off Rt 139. It's open 24/7 365. A lot of commercial fishing out of there so the docks are in (at least some) year round. I went out (or tried to) XMAS Eve day. Today, a Sat on Mem day weekend, there were maybe a dozen trailers in the lot. <br /><br />It CAN get busy mid July and August, but nothing like I have ever seen in Wessagusset where you can wait an hour or more to launch. I've never had more than one boat ahead of me.<br /><br />My boat is a '95 Four Winns 238 Vista (teal colors ) <br />Name: "Resolution". If you see me be sure to say "Hi"!<br /><br />I went out and fished some wrecks off the H buoy today. Brought home some cod, a wolffish (my first time seeing one ofthe ose tings) and a flounder. Caught them on Cod jigs with teasers and clams.<br /><br />I'm not the most successful Saltwater man myslef. Only been at it about 3 years.<br /><br />BTW, it was smooth as glass today, ALL DAY<br /><br />M<br /><br />p.s. Oh yeah I bought my season pass this week. Only 50 bucks. Last year Weymouth was 60. What is it now?

JustMrWill

Weymouth said that they were hiking season pass to $75 tyhis year to fund extending the ramp out another couple dock-lengths. I haven't been there this year. I have only had to wait for retrieval during low-tide...I usually get there to launch around 6:30am so no waiting.<br /><br />I went out of Green Harbor today. Launched around 1:30pm...no waiting...returned around 6pm (low tide) and had to wait on 1 boat (actually...I chose to wait because I wanted to retrieve on the left side.<br /><br />I followed the coast down to Duxbury/disposal area...drop a line with some squid...nothing. Followed coast a bit...headed north...then back towards Green Harbor. I didn't want to try crossing to p-town since this was only my second outing of the year and I had my 10 year old daughter with me. We drifted around abit...cruised some..and finally called it a day.<br /><br />Green Harbor was a nice change...but the roads through Marshfield had me tense/nervous. Very little "wiggle" room...especially with cars parked the sides.<br /><br />-JMW

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

I went out today around 10:30 and took the mine and my brothers family (8 in all) down along Duxbury in into Plymouth harbor. Ate lunch on the boat at a transient slip and walked around the Mayflower. Was a nice day <br /><br />We should hookup through email. I find the ride to Green Harbor a dream. For me to go to Wessgussett (and I did for years - still use it for trips into Boston Harbor) I have to go up 18 through the landing and a bunch of residential side streets. TOUGH turns to make, and the roads are pretty bad with potholes<br /><br />There is a short cut to Green Harbor I should have told you about. No parked cars, no traffic<br /><br />Drop me a line. I'd like to make the run out to Stellwagen again soon. Maybe we can hook up. At the very least I'll get you to the ramp via the "super hwy". I know how you must have gone, and that WOULD suck.. There is a special access road, but you likely won't see it unless you take the short cut<br /><br />-Mike<br />michael.cleaves@verizon.net