Can't stop smiling - * UPDATE *

Dunaruna

Admiral
I have a 16 year old daughter. She is the most intelligent & beautiful creature in the universe.<br /><br />As all parents would know, we see our kids through rose colored glasses, the reality is that she is the same as thousands of other kids. Academically - above average but no Einstein, socially - popular but not the coolest kid, looks - well on that I won't budge - still the most beautiful creature in the universe ;) . Along with her mother - she is the reason I take breathe every day. <br /><br />Last night was her schools end of semester/year awards night. You know the type, band plays badly, principle rambles on for what seems like hours, funny looking sculptures in the foyer made by budding Michael Angelos'. <br /><br />My daughter recently attended a cultural exchange trip to Japan and her contribution to the night was a quick rundown type speech on the trip - it went well and I was very proud of her. After the speech she did not return to her seat, she remained backstage. She was probably hanging out with friends, we didn't give it much thought. The night went on with various awards for achievements - academic and sporting etc.<br /><br />The closing speech by the principle was putting me to sleep, I was half listenning when I thought I heard my daughters name............<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br /><br />she was named the honor student for 2004 (what you guys call the Dux?). Out of 13 subjects she recieved 13 accolades, her worsed subject was advanced maths3, a 97% pass. Obviously top of the school but also top 3% in the STATE.<br /><br />We had no idea this was coming, the school had told us that she HAD to attend the night but we assumed it was for the japanese speech.<br /><br />If its sunny where you are now its because I can't wipe the smile from my face :) :) :) :) :) :) <br /><br />Aldo

Triton II

Commander
Re: Can't stop smiling - * UPDATE *

Cool Aldo. My eldest son is just 17 and going into his final year of high school next year. Right now he is also on exchange to Aichi in Japan, coming back in early February 05. I miss him terribly, however his youngest brother (13) has his awards day on Monday and HAS to attend. No idea why... time will tell. Meanwhile, sincere congratulations to your daughter... no wonder you're feeling proud! :D

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Congrats, Aldo! That's fantastic!<br />Good news from the States, too. My son is in his Junior year at college, about 60 miles from home... not too far, but too far, if you know what I mean. Just got word this week that he passed this quarter with a 4.0 average! While he's always been intelligent (gets that from his mother's side... certainly not from me, lol), I thought that the distractions of living in a dorm away from home would be detrimental to his education. Boy, am I glad I was wrong on that one! So, if you see a strange glow in the sky from the northeast, that's my smile answering yours!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That's great, Aldo!! :D

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

Aldo,<br /><br />WOW - that's neat - you and mom have a lot to be proud of!! :D :D

Dunaruna

Admiral

Triton, does your sons' school have a sister school in Japan? My daughter got so much from the trip that we are seriously considering sending her again next year(it ain't cheap!!). Her sister school is offering her free accomodation if we recipricate. Best of luck to #2 son.<br /><br />Brian, at what age do kids start junior college (I suspect that it is our equivilent of senior high school)? Any chance of a quick run down on pass rates. 4.0 average is obviously very good but I don't understand the system.<br /><br />Aldo

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Dunaruna, he's in his 3rd year of college, hence a Junior (sorry if what I said was confusing). He's been stretching out his college days as his budget allows, as he's 24 yrs old, and still over a year to go for his bachelors' degree.<br />A 4.0 average is the equivalent of all A's. Other than that, I can't explain the grade point system. Anyway, as he's doing so well, we're hoping the university sees what an asset he is and offers him a scholarship or grant to help him finish.

Dunaruna

Admiral

O/k, got it. <br /><br />BTW, Its late afternoon here and I can still see the glow on the horizon :cool: <br /><br />Aldo

Triton II

Commander

Aldo, Unfortunately, there's no sister school anymore, as Picnic Point High School here in Sydney stopped teaching Japanese at senior level last year. So Alex has to study Japanese through the open high school. I sent him to Aichi using frequent flyer points to pay for the ticket. The host family sent an exchange student to Australia three years ago and are reciprocating! We put up a Japanese student teacher for three months last year as our back fence is shared with the school. Short commute for the boys!<br />BrianFD... best of luck to your son... hope he gets that scholarship. Think we've all caught that glow... it's nice and warm isn't it?

Dunaruna

Admiral

Thats a shame about the sister school. We have also hosted visiting students and teachers and we have found it to be very rewarding. They are very polite and PC but they don't quite get our aussie humour (I'm working on it). I'm convinced that my daughter has been greatly influenced by the study ethics that the Japanese kids have, they are hungry for knowledge and study until midnight most nights. <br /><br />BTW triton, a second language is a must to be able to succeed in todays corporate or tourism world - japanese is very hard to learn and master, I think we both have kids that will have many open doors in their future.<br /><br />Aldo

Triton II

Commander

Too true... it's funny as Alex has a great study ethic as does son number three, Chris. Stuart, who's a typical middle child and is 15 gave up Japanese three years ago. Now he just doesn't put the effort in so I have to say you're right... the study of another language and the culture the language came from seems to instil a good work ethic in kids, especially if it's Japanese. My two immediate superiors are both from our Japanese parent company and they work hard for hours longer than anyone else. For the past two weeks I've spent up to 30 minutes a day on this forum but even so I still manage to get things done. iboats is kind of addictive!

Dunaruna

Admiral

Yeah it is addictive. I've noticed you have started talking in inches & Lbs and calling petrol 'gas'. You gotta throw in metric every now and again to confuse these buggers. Ya not turning yankee (see, I remembered boomyal) on me are ya? Don't look at the light triton :D <br /><br />Aldo

Triton II

Commander

G'day Aldo, <br />After working with the Poms and US of A'ers in the military for many, many years, I'm pretty good with inches feet, miles, lbs etc. Gas... yeah OK, I'll ditch it. Gotta go, driving 3 kms to the servo to fill up the car and quinnie with unleaded petrol, put some groceries in the boot and toddle off to the bottle shop for a slab. That do you? Have a great weekend, it's going to rain here... maybe!

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

I wondered what that bright glow was from the west Aldo.....now I know.... :) <br /><br />Much congratulations to the daughter....and the parents...

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

Congratulations Aldo! <br /><br />You & the Mrs. have every right to be proud.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Great news, DR. Glad to see a youngster rise above the slime of MTV and rap music. Keep that glow coming. It might make it through our PNW overcast yet.<br /><br />Cmdr. Boomyal<br />Temporarily retired from the Yankee Flotilla of the iboats Navy. ;)

aspeck

Staff member

Congrats Aldo! Guess she got her good looks AND her brains from her dear old Dad, huh? I was wondering why it was raining her today, but there was still a sunny glow to the eastern shy.

Big Ears

Seaman Apprentice

Fabulous news Aldo, my 3 year old has just started swimming without any flotation and I'm as proud as I was the day he first walked. Hopefully he'll continue to make me proud when he starts school.