Cant seem to get any spark

I have a 1983 sea sprite 120hp mercruiser 2.5ltr. I went to start the boat for the first time in months. I didnt get anything when i hooked the batery up even after i charged it. So new battery and nothing. I realized that the wires were a bit rusty so i cleaned them. That gave me power. Now the boat cranks but wont start. I changed the cap, rotor, resitor, points, plugs, wires, and now the coil. I pulled the plug wire fromt the center of the dist. and put it about an 1/8 inch from the block and no spark. I even sanded the paint off bracket to make sure i had a good spot. Oh and yes i am getting fuel in the carb. Someone said it could be ignition module but i dont know where or what to look for. Please give me somr ideas on how or whaat to check. I miss being on my boat.

rattana

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Cant seem to get any spark

Pull the cap off of the distributor and make sure the points are opening and closing as you crank the motor over. The gap of the points when open should be about .020"<br />Also make sure you have voltage at the positive side of the coil with the key on.

Rickles

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Put a jumper wire from the battery + to the coil+.This will bypass the ign. switch for power.

Well i took the cap off and had spark. checked the gap and it was good. Funny thing is i put the cap back on and cranked it and it started. The only thing is i left it uncovered last night and it poured. So the entire engine is wet. Could that mean that a ground wire is not getting good connection? I am going to let it dry then try it again. If it wont start it must be a ground wire. I think? Give me your impression.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

While anything is possible, I doubt that the water helped a bad connection make a better connection. I would suspect that the original points were bad and when you replaced them maybe a piece of lint or something was keeping them from making contact - when you rechecked the gap maybe you cleaned them off... but who knows? Good thing it's working now! (Oh yeah - go ahead and check those other connections good too, just to be on the safe side!)