Can't reach or remove plugs for dewater winterization

zul

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a new to me 2002 Rinker 232. It is currently stored in a heated garage. I am attempting to de-water the boat and have found one of the blue plugs deep inside with no room for me or tools. I can touch the plug but no space for any sort of tool.

The engine is a new 5.7 MPI Mercruiser. All of the online vids show and state how 'easy' it is to get to the plugs for removal. HA! Not the case for me. Not in a Rinker 232. The fiberglass and engine mount are completely blocking all of my head standing attempts and I can barely reach it. Very little room to move a tool even if and when I get that far.

The heated garage is part of a commercial marina at Lake Powell which means there are no power outlets available to me. I do plan to use the boat at least a few times this winter. The weather can be very mild in November and February. Dec and Jan are colder but it never really gets below 20F around there.

Looking for solutions for plug removal or other creative ideas in case there is loss of power.

1. Flood with anti-freeze? It will still have water in the block.
2. Add a 1,000 watt inverter to boat batteries and a bilge heater?

I have removed the fuel filter and gotten a bit closer.
Next attempt, I will remove the 10 gallon water tank and hose lines. That will leave a bit more room for me but there will still be little to no room for tools once I get there.

Maybe this is all overkill? Have faith in the heated garage?

If they lose power and every boat in there that gets a cracked block, does the marina insurance buy everyone a new engine?

Bondo

Staff member
Looking for solutions for plug removal or other creative ideas in case there is loss of power.

Ayuh,..... The blue plastic plug, Should be finger tight,'n unscrew by hand,.....
Otherwise, ya just gotta remove enough Boat, to get to it,.....

flashback

Captain
Same problem here, you just wait. You might be better off paying the marina and then if it freezes it would be on their dollar..

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Pay the marina to winterize if you cant drain everything

Texas proved what happens when power goes out in winter

alldodge

Staff member
Would need a serial number to verify but you may also have a cool fuel module on port side down at the oil pan which also has a plug.

We are all also assuming this is open raw water cooled

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have a 2004 Rinker 232. Plug access is difficult but I can reach them. I'm 6' tall so maybe my arms are longer than yours?
The one on the T-stat housing is really just an air vent. The two on the raw water pump are partially blocked by the fiberglass but I can get them by getting into the engine compartment beside the engine. I have to remove the plastic storage bin to get in there. The one that drains most of the plumbing, the "single point drain" is a long reach but I can just get it by leaning over the rear bench seat with my head down beside the engine. None of these plugs should need a tools. I've replaced the blue plastic ones with aftermarket stainless plugs so they are a bit sturdier.
If you can't reach them you could remove access hatch in the rear of the boat. It's part of the rear floor and the rear bench seat. This has to be removed to change the raw water impeller so if yours hasn't been changed in a while it may be a good time to do that. The panel is just held in with a bunch of Phillips screws.
I am assuming your 2002 is built like my 2004. If not then maybe you don't have the removable access.

Reactions: zul

zul

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am assuming your 2002 is built like my 2004. If not then maybe you don't have the removable access.
Build sounds identical. I removed the 10 gal water tank and that got me closer. It was still a blind finger dance to not drop the plug. Third attempt and I got it in.

Good to know that the rear floor will help on the impeller replacement. I just took out my floor to get a look around under deck. Did you find it easy to pull the impeller and re-install? Mine was done a year ago, so I've got some time there.

@KD4UPL Do you get water trapped in the belly of the hull? As in under the cuddy? Seems like the boat would rather drain and trap water under the cuddy rather than sending it to the transom/drain plug?? That is my latest problem. Boat design flaw or would this be common in most larger boats?

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I didn't do the impeller myself. I had a shop do it. I had them doing a bit of fiberglass repair as well as replacing the bellows at the same time since it hadn't been done in 17 years.
Mine isn't a cuddy, it's an open bow. I have noticed that if it's out in the rain, which isn't often, the water won't drain out unless I get it on the trailer at a pretty steep angle. Just sitting level or slightly bow high doesn't seem like enough to get the water to drain to the bilge.

Reactions: zul